Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Black Leader Film (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Black Leader Film
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 02:57 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who makes the best Black Leader Film and where can it be purchased?
Down here all I can get is some VERY brittle stuff that is crap and expensive!!
Cheers
Ian

|  IP: Logged

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 05:18 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I asked for black leader that is not mylar with frame lines (which show on screen at my location), all I get is a "HUH?". It plays fine, but the white frame lines are impossible to get rid of (they are VERY thick). My supplier (apparently) doesn't know about a solid black leader.

Nick Scott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 05:29 AM      Profile for Nick Scott   Author's Homepage   Email Nick Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian
I get mine from atlab in sydney they have a few different types. Theres one that is like an acetate type film and a soild polyester both are very good.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 05:52 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Nick
I get the crap brittle stuff from Atlab also.Didn't know they had different types.The best I've seen is Kodak but have not found a supplier as yet.I'll give Atlab a call tomorrow and see what they have got.
Cheers

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-20-2006 06:52 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to the leader materials that can be ordered from Kodak FPC:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products/supply/index.jhtml?id=0.1.4.18&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products/supply/leader.jhtml?id=0.1.4.18.6&lc=en

quote:
Supply Items.
Leader

Cans - 16mm, 35mm & 70mm
Cores - 16mm, 35mm, 65mm, & 70mm

Miscellaneous Items - Film Cement, Magnetic Optical Disc, Optical Negative
Fullcoat, Partical Transfer Rollers (PTR), Splicing Tape, Molecular Sieve,
Scratch Test Leader & Squeegees

NT Audio also manufactures leaders:

http://www.ntaudio.com/projection_leader.html

quote:
NT Audio manufactures five types of leader: From frame-countdown leader for the initial thread-up of reels, platters and interlocks, to leader for use between trailers and intermissions.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2006 01:02 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys
Ian

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-21-2006 10:23 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hadden has always supplied BB-100 from N T Audio Visual. This is solid black 35mm film with soundtrack & frame lines printed on. There is no translucency; solid black. Louis

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-21-2006 10:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
There is no translucency; solid black.
Well, sort of. When it's brand new it blocks out quite a lot of light, but if you compare it running and open/close the douser, you will see it isn't truly blocking all light.

My beef with it is that it is easily scratched, and the scratches show up quite lovely on screen. Mag fullcoat is a far superior type of film to be using for "black leader", as it is as opaque as it gets, plus it takes quite a lot to scratch it. The only problem is that it doesn't have any frameline markings, but that's where I come in.

End result, I make the best black leader. (I've just never put it on the market.) [Big Grin]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-22-2006 05:45 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If someone made black leader with framelines using KODAK VISION Premier Color Print Film 2393, they could actually have the opaque areas of the leader have a density greater than 5.0 (Only 1/100,000 of the light gets through) -- that's pretty black. [thumbsup]

Here are the magnetic fullcoat films that Kodak FPC stocks:

Kodak FPC Mag Fullcoat

quote:
Fullcoat 200/2PB 35mm 3mil/2100'
Fullcoat 200/3PB 35mm 3mil/3150'
Fullcoat 802/PB35mm 5mil/1200'
Fullcoat 800/2PB 35mm 5mil/2100'
Fullcoat 800/3PB 35mm 5mil/3150'
Fullcoat 810PB 16mm 5mil/1200'
Fullcoat 810/2PB 16mm 5mil/2400'

Rick Hunter
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 05:57 AM      Profile for Rick Hunter   Email Rick Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
End result, I make the best black leader. (I've just never put it on the market.)
Brad,
I guess that is what's going through the film cleaner in your pix.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-22-2006 09:12 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When ordering mag fullcoat, be sure to get the thicker (5mil) variety. This is comparable to standard print stock. The thinner version has trouble running through some projectors. FPC seems to be the best brand for use as black leader; some of the others that I have tried will eventually scratch and become less-than-opaque (but are still better than the "B100" variety).

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 10:26 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem is that it doesn't have any frameline markings, but that's where I come in.
How do you add the framelines (I have been using a frame counter and permanent marker)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-22-2006 04:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
How? It's magic. [Cool]

John, the problem with using Kodak stock is that it wouldn't be any more scratch resistant than the existing leaders on the market today. [Frown] FPC fullcoat as Scott mentioned is a far superior choice.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-22-2006 05:02 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mag fullcoat is a far superior type of film to be using for "black leader", as it is as opaque as it gets, plus it takes quite a lot to scratch it.
Another advantage is that on some formulations at least (e.g. the Zonal acetate stuff that was kicking around until I left the booth in 2001), the oxide coating picks up dust and dirt and helps keep the film path clean, especially if you run 50-100 feet of it at the head and tail of a platter roll.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 05:30 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad's fullcoat stock with frame markings rules! I use this stuff between older trailers all the time, makes the transitions a little nicer, since they tend to end abruptly.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: