Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How do you do a B-Chain alignment with sealed port windows (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: How do you do a B-Chain alignment with sealed port windows
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 06:05 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious how thats done. With port windows that open, its easy to run the mic out the window into the auditorium, but what do you do with sealed port windows? I'm hoping its not the obvious answer....removing the port windows.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-16-2006 07:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got several locatins like that! Dumpkoffs designed those ports for sure!

I use a wireless keyboard and mouse to control the laptop which is running my R-2 both of which are in the suditorium. I set the laptop on top of a ladder in front of the port so I can see it. Yes! I charge extra for doing B Chains in plainly stupid situations like this.

Mark

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 07:20 PM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of other situations I have come across...

Occasionally a permanent mic lead will have been installed when the theatre was built and just be coiled up behind a curtain in the auditorium and in the base of the rack.

Also sometimes a small sealable cable duct will be installed between the projection room and the auditorium; remove the screw-on seals and through goes the mic lead...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-16-2006 09:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take a 3" hole saw and make a round hole through the wall and tell them to put a E box on eaither side with the bottom removed
If you don't want to do that then call someone else as I don't have the time to waste devising a work around

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 10:09 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wireless keyboard and mouse...thats brilliant. I was wondering if maybe I was missing a trade secret or something. Sounds like a real pain.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-17-2006 02:11 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I've done in a 8 plex is put a standard square "J" box on the inside of the booth per each house and on the other side of the wall, mount, under the sound insulation and to the sheetrock, a Switchcraft XLR female panel socket, and run a three conductor wire through the wall which would be soldered to the other end of a Switchcraft XLR male plug that would be stored into the square "J" box that would have the cover. The inside "J" box is mounted close enough to the processors so that the runs can be as decently short as possible.

This way, the sound tekkie can hook up his multiplexer in the auditorium to the wall socket, and in the booth, have the EQ and laptop attached to the XLR plug. Thus not having to run miles of sound cable from booth to each house.

Amazing when some places are being designed and built that the matter of sound alignments are not on the priority list of such designs...where soundproofing the booth from the auditorium seems more drastically important..Thus, of the sealed port windows (and how are you supposed to clean them if they are sealed outside of getting the stepladders out...which in itself is quite the pain..when the windows are high...)

-Monte

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2006 01:30 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, cleaning the windows requiers a ladder. Because it is such a pain to drag out a ladder to do that, the projectionists are cleaning them as often as they should.

I will see if the chain will spring for some kind of mod so we can get an alignment done. Somehow I dont think they will spring for it.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-17-2006 01:57 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine drilled a hole through the wall, and slid in a length of 1-1/4" conduit pipe (not EMT.) He applied acostic cauking around it at both ends to sort of 'glue' it in. When not in use, he slides in some regular insulation and screws on a cap.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2006 04:11 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If i had to buy a microphone to do this, what would be the best way to go? Keep in mind, I'm spending my own money on this and I have no other use for it other than B-chain.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-17-2006 07:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Behrenger makes an incredibly flat mic for use with their spectrum analyzer thats about 60.00. It also has just about the right sort of other characteristics that you would want and can be phantom powered from a variety of voltage sources. I've tested them and they are actually pretty good performers for the money..... but I would not use them in my day to day work, the one I use with my IVIE cost about 1200 bucks.

Mark

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2006 07:36 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could afford an ivie, but the new IE-35 is around $1700.

What are your thoughts on audio inputs to a laptop to do a A-chain? i was told the mic input isnt a good idea, but rather an external sound sound would be best. How would a Soundblaster PCMCIA Audigy card work? It would still use a mic input, but if that would be just as good as a completely seperate sound card, I'd prefer less clutter.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-17-2006 10:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, You'll be using a 50 buck microphone feeding a 4 buck sound card.... Something doesn't sound right there to me.... and it won't to your customers either! You need am extremely high quality external sound card to do this. I'm not at all impressed by the new IVIE.... Palm Pilots tend to become obsolete very quickly... and they break easily. Its also way too small for my fingers and has a much lower grade mic. Also IVIE is not the company they once were since the original owner has long since sold it. There are a couple of other options I would reccomend but they are 3K up to about 10k. P.S. You need a super low noise mic preamp and it has to have a balanced input.

Mark

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2006 12:18 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I know its definately not optimal using a laptop, but its all I have. The company wont spend a dollar. Unfortunately I'm spending personal cash on specialized equipment is not an option. I was looking for a IVIE-33 used somewhere, but they are no where to be found. A laptop is all I can use for now. I was looking around for decent RTA software to use as well. The PCMCIA soundcard seems to be a better thing to use rather than a completely external sound card box. The PCMCIA card is newer that the external box I found, and higher quality, but I wanted to make sure it work ok since the only input it has is a mic input like the built in one on my laptop. I am thinking the add-on sound card would have a better quality input and processor.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-18-2006 01:45 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank...chek out this sound card for your laptop. -Monte

Jarrad Salmon
Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2006 06:21 AM      Profile for Jarrad Salmon   Email Jarrad Salmon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Behrenger makes an incredibly flat mic for use with their spectrum analyzer thats about 60.00. It also has just about the right sort of other characteristics that you would want and can be phantom powered from a variety of voltage sources. I've tested them and they are actually pretty good performers for the money..... but I would not use them in my day to day work, the one I use with my IVIE cost about 1200 bucks.

Mark

Behringer in my experience (more live/studio audio) are not a brand I reccomend. Sure they are very cheap and have their place in the industry... But I find them unreliable and lets face it... real professionals simply choose better performers. Only get that mic if you want something cheap and nasty to do the job quickly and on a temporary basis.

If I were you I'd hire better gear until you can afford something better

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: