Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Vic 5 turret not turning

Author Topic: Vic 5 turret not turning
Sally Burgess
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2006 09:31 PM      Profile for Sally Burgess   Email Sally Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
The turret currently needs to be moved by hand to the correct position...the aperture plate moves OK though.
Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 03:39 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work with Cinemeccanica Vic 5's with this auto turret, but I'm not intimately familiar with the insides, so until someone confirms this information, take it with a grain of salt.

When you press the button to change the lens, do you hear a motor running? If so, there's a solenoid inside the lens turret that, when activated, engages the motor gear to the gear that drives the turret. Your problem likely has something to do with that solenoid in this situation.

If you do NOT hear a motor running, then check the fuses. I imagine that there could also be an issue with wiring or one of the microswitches in the turret as well.

Tommie Evans
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 06:20 AM      Profile for Tommie Evans   Email Tommie Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you press the lens change button and the motor is heard running check the belt is not slipping around the barrel of the turret, tighten it up by raising the entire motor assembly via the two allen screws that thread into the front of the main turret. Or replace the belt.

Check that when the button is depressed the pin underneath the button is actually contacting the switch underneath as it is known to come loose (whole button assy will wobble).

Look at the wiring on the lens change button microswitch, if it is loose resolder with small crimp connections or heat shrink. If the wires touch the casing or each other with the power on they will take out various fuses and fry a couple of relays on the automation clamp board.

Also there is a card on top of the turret check the fuse in this and the connections.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-16-2006 09:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there are many different types of drives on vic 5 turrets I have yet to deal with one with a belt
most use either a single 3 phase motor on the turret with a mechanical linkage to the apperture changer or seperate motors for each
My suspicion is that since apperture moves you have the later so I would think either the motor has a issue or if it is a 3phase turret one of the fuses has blown

I would sujest calling your service rep fist

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-17-2006 02:17 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Gordon; Cinemeccanica has made changes to the basic turret over the years. I guess we would need to know more info to answer the question. For reference, this is one with a belt....

-

Jarrad Salmon
Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2006 05:23 AM      Profile for Jarrad Salmon   Email Jarrad Salmon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had the same problem a little while ago. The problem for me was a microswitch on the turret. Basically a wire had come off the terminal and needed to be re-soldered. There is a fair bit of movement on those things.

Never had a fuse go on a turret at this stage, but breakers and fuses are the first thing to check.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: