Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Where can I find test cables?

Author Topic: Where can I find test cables?
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2006 01:32 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am considering trying to use my laptop (I know its not recommended but its all I have for now) for doing A-chain alignments. I need to pick up a set of cables or possible make a set. Any plans online? Anywhere I can just by them? I know they can be easily made, so either is fine. Thank you!

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-13-2006 02:34 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got any sound spectrum analysing programs to see any form of sound waveform in your laptop for beginners - so you can measure each side of the camera's outputs..if using LED reverse scan readers?

If so, then a USB external sound card with RCA inputs is then needed to accept the audio waveforms-since you're basically measuring voltage....

Also, goto the manuals section (if you got Dolby units) and open up the manuals...where one can use a simple headphone setup to tap across the preamp test points for left/right balance...when using a CAT-69T 1kz tone loop...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-13-2006 07:21 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get your test cable adaptors from any Pomona Dealer and just buy standard length BNC cables in what ever length suits your needs. Try Allied Electronics, Newark, etc!

Mark

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2006 12:22 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a unit (I think it was a PDA with an analyzer strapped to the back) and it had a set of cables that had 3 smalle probes at one end (red, green, black) and they went into two RCA type plugs (red, white) anyone seen anything like that? If so, where. It looks like they would be easy to make if I could find the correct small tipped ends for the red, green and black. Those ends plugged into the dolby cards.... I wish I know if that set of cables had a name, it would make it easier to describe.

Gordon Burke
Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2006 01:42 PM      Profile for Gordon Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pomona and others call them "Pin Tip Plugs" and the basic diameter is .080"

Pomona's 5173 allows for crimping or soldering to 22-18AWG wire.

I use the 1431/1432 banana-to-pin tip adaptors because I have a lot of banana equipment.

The 2mm "mini" banana will work too, but I bet it stretches out the contacts on the jacks.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2006 03:23 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also using computer for A & B Chain aligments, using ESI Juli@ soundcard! For probes i use this, don't know where to buy, I made by myself and You can do it you're self, see It's easy to do! You can attact thiese crododiles to any test point!

-
 -

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2006 08:12 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To do an A-chain, don't I need a LEft and a Right input? When I say this set of cables, it had 3 cables (red, green, and black) and two RCA plugs on the other. Coud I replace the two RCA plugs with a stereo mini plug to plug into a laptop mic plug?

Thanks for the names of those plugs Gordon..gives me a great jump on finding the correct ends.

Gordon Burke
Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2006 01:13 PM      Profile for Gordon Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with the laptop's mic input is that the test points on dolby processors are about "line level," so unless you have a 50dB pad to insert between the leads and the laptop, the signal is too high. Just turning down the software mic "gain" won't correct this.

Better to get a USB/firewire audio interface from M-Audio or other musician oriented manufacturer. The audio interface can have analog circuits and A/D conversion that are way better than any laptop and are usually designed to handle a wide range of loading and signal conditions.

A "stereo" signal is really only necessary if you are using a 'scope program on the laptop because one of the important checks is X/Y-ing the left and right to check azimuth. If the RTA software has a two channel comparison function, then the stereo option will make it easier to get the channels to match. Doing a cross-talk test requires the ability to see a dual-trace scope display to compare both channels to each other.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2006 01:38 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had anticipated using winscope on a laptop. Would I be able to use that and adequately to an A-Chain? I just dont have the equiptment, and the chain wont spring for it.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2006 01:38 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had anticipated using winscope on a laptop. Would I be able to use that and adequately to an A-Chain? I just dont have the equiptment, and the chain wont spring for it.

Are there any better ideas? Would a PDA work in some way?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: