Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Orphan Simplex Turret help needed ASAFP!

Author Topic: Orphan Simplex Turret help needed ASAFP!
Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 06-11-2006 02:14 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got six of these NSS Simplex (Ballantyne reps dated them ca. 1980) PR1050 heads with VERY early and possibly unique TU-2000 manual turrets:

-

-

-

-

-

My problem is that I just recently changed out the straight gate assembly for a curved one to correct a noise and stability problem that nothing else I have tried would fix. My scope picture is still aligned fine with the screen, but the flat picture is almost 2 feet off center to the right. There is no visible way that I can see to do a per-lens lateral adjustment (like you can do with the current style TU-2000 turret) to correct the off-center flat picture.

Screen is common height with moveable top masking FWIW.

Anyone have some ideas??? Anyone else ever come across one of these?

Does anyone else out there have any clues?

Thanks in advance!

-Aaron

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-11-2006 02:20 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe insert a shim in the lens collar?

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2006 02:54 AM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you fit an eccentric sleeve around the ends of the focus shaft? The lens barrel must run backwards and forwards along some kind of shafts, so it might be possible to fit an eccentric bush for one or both, and adjust the lens position that way. Cinemeccanica do it using shafts with eccentric ends, for the same effect.

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2006 07:22 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lense mount screws are adjusted to alighn the lens, memory cant go back further as to method. [Confused]

Hi Phill. [thumbsup]

Stan.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2006 08:25 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
was it ok before you changed the gate assembly? if so, the turret has nothing to do with the problem.

rick

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-11-2006 10:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you judging the 2-feet based on target film or based on apertures? Take target film and a laser; if the laser bullseyes to the crosshair of the target film, it is dead on.

Aperture plates are notorius for being inaccurate for Simplexes. Often the end of the plate needs to be filed to allow it to go into the trap far enough. Also watch out for misformed aperture plates...the slanted portion is also often wrong and will prematurely stop the plate from going in far enough on a Simplex curve gate...some simple rebends will allo it to properly bottom out on the end of the plate.

Again, I would verify with target film your problem. As I am not familiar (other than seeing it in advertising way back when) I can not comment on the turrets functionality.

Steve

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 06-11-2006 11:59 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
was it ok before you changed the gate assembly? if so, the turret has nothing to do with the problem.
I wasn't the one who did the setup on these projectors, I was busy with sound systems at the time, so I have no idea if the picture was off-center from jump (but if the aperture is now casting a 2' shadow, something has gotta be amiss. As for the gate being the culprit, wouldn't that affect BOTH formats?? As I stated initially, scope is practically dead-on perfect on screen.

quote: Steve Guttag
Are you judging the 2-feet based on target film or based on apertures?
Both. Its way off with the PA35 as well.

I'll try to get some time to investigate this further and report back. Until then, any other suggestions are welcome!

-Aaron

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2006 12:46 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what kind of plate? If it is a dual formart plate, then yes one format could be offset because of one of the stops being set incorrectly. Your pictures did not show, so I was just curious.

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 06-11-2006 01:09 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Standard Simplex single format plates.

-Aaron

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-11-2006 02:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
One word Aaron, one word...

Can you get some brighter pictures of the film side of the turret? It's hard to make out any screws or potential adjustments. I see some allen head screws on the front. If you loosen them, can you move the entire lens around possibly? (I've never seen one of these turrets before.)

If you end up not being able to find an adjustment, Adam's suggestion above will certainly work. I've done it many times.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-11-2006 11:21 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this pix of the early TU-2000 turret mounted on a studio gate NSS Simplex PR-1050

-

..maybe, this can help out some...

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-14-2006 09:21 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These turrets were originally made for Famous Players in Canada, they may have been sold elsewhere but FP wanted a manual turret - maybe the electric ones were too expensive? - and this is the result.
The left/right adjustment is pretty simple.
Look in the hole on the outside edge (visible in the fourth photo just left of the bottom of the "handle") and adjust the lens focus until you see an allen head screw aligned with that hole. Loosen it. The lens mounting barrel will now rotate, it is eccentric and the lens centre will move. With RP40 set the image left/right position, ignore up/down. Then lock with that allen screw and set up/down with the adjustable turret rotation stop. There isn't a LOT of travel left/right, you may need to shift the projector and adjust both lenses.

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 06-14-2006 02:10 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
The left/right adjustment is pretty simple.
Look in the hole on the outside edge (visible in the fourth photo just left of the bottom of the "handle") and adjust the lens focus until you see an allen head screw aligned with that hole. Loosen it. The lens mounting barrel will now rotate, it is eccentric and the lens centre will move. With RP40 set the image left/right position, ignore up/down. Then lock with that allen screw and set up/down with the adjustable turret rotation stop. There isn't a LOT of travel left/right, you may need to shift the projector and adjust both lenses.

I was told this a while ago, and that was the first thing I tried. 'isn't a lot of travel left/right' is a gross understatement. I saw ZERO movement of the image by rotating the barrel. I might try again, but am not expecting any improvements. [Frown]

Next?

-Aaron

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-14-2006 09:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Sisemore
Next?

I would seriously consoder retrofitting these with JUST the Kelmar manual turrett section. Keep in mind that these turretts are no longer servicable as far as parts go unless you get another one to steal from... Or perhaps a local machine shop.... None of the TU-2000 series was anything to write home about anyway.

Mark

Chris Unwin
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2006 04:26 AM      Profile for Chris Unwin   Email Chris Unwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dave!...............Damn Famous Players and their cheap equipment they used to make us work with! I hated working with those turrets too.
Aaron, I would follow Marks' advice & replace them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: