Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New THX TEX trailer! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New THX TEX trailer!
Hannes Helfenstein
Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2006 10:31 PM      Profile for Hannes Helfenstein   Author's Homepage   Email Hannes Helfenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know when the new THX-trailer with the great THX robot TEX will be released? Link: http://www.thx.com/ I thought that they would release it together with "Cars" but this wasn't the case as far as I know. Does anybody know more? Can't wait to see this trailer!

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 06-11-2006 01:54 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am running it as we speak on both of my Cars prints.

It's called 'Tex 3: Action'.

Basically Tex gets sucked thru a car's engine. Quite anticlimactic IMO, but I am glad to finally have something other than the now quite tired (and totally inappropriate for more 'serious' films) 'Tex 2: MOO' to place on scope prints for a change. [Roll Eyes]

-Aaron

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2006 10:52 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw it Friday at last local remaining THX location. Very unimpressive. THX trailers should make you sit up and take notice...let you know you are seeing something special. This was weak...like driving an underpowered car with a stick shift. Better to show nothing than that. Most of the audience didn't even know what it was. Very disappointing.

Bring back BROADWAY...that is still the best of all.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-11-2006 11:18 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I like the Cimarron trailer most. It's just too bad THX has never retooled it into a Quad Format version.

Hannes Helfenstein
Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2006 11:20 AM      Profile for Hannes Helfenstein   Author's Homepage   Email Hannes Helfenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's strange. I watched "Cars" in DLP in the AMC Loews Metreon in SF yesterday and they only showed the THX Science trailer. I guess, there's no digital version of the trailer available. Is it encoded in SRD-EX and DTS-ES?

I like the first THX TEX and the Cimarron trailer most. The THX T2 trailer on the T2 DVD is also great.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2006 11:24 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Tex 3 this week at Notre Dame's showing of The Godfather, and yeah, the trailer wasn't that impressive. Broadway would be nice to see again. Something that really shakes the theatre would also be nice.

AJG

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2006 11:40 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will they bring back the Simpsons THX trailer in time for the movies release? That would be cool

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2006 01:50 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The closest THX location closest to Lubbock I could find on their website is a Carmike theatre in El Paso. It shows Dallas, OKlahoma City and Denver as not having THX. I could have been entering the cities incorrectly in the search field, though... [Frown]

Hannes Helfenstein
Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2006 05:45 PM      Profile for Hannes Helfenstein   Author's Homepage   Email Hannes Helfenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did nobody run the trailer on a Dolby-EX or DTS-ES unit? I'd like to know if it is encoded in SRD-EX/DTS-ES or not.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-14-2006 07:48 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why the hell aren't ALL of the THX trailers on their website?

[thumbsdown]

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2006 12:18 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can confirm the new Tex trailer is a DTS-ES / Dolby Surround EX mix.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2006 02:00 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can confirm that THX no longer means anything.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-14-2006 04:18 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Westbrook
The closest THX location closest to Lubbock I could find on their website is a Carmike theatre in El Paso.
I don't know if El Paso is any closer to Lubbock than Lawton, OK or Cordele, OK. Both Lawton and Cordele are in western and southwestern parts of the state.

The Carmike 8 in Lawton was originally built with two screens THX-certified, but Carmike retained certification only on screen #4. Both screens #4 and #5 still have all their equipment -including the DTS-6 two-drive machines that have held up since installation in 1994. They'll get retired (or sold) whenever the theater gets converted over to digital projection.

I'm fairly certain Cordele, OK is the smallest town in the world with a THX-certified theater (the old Washita Theater was completely refurbished).

The Oklahoma City area currently has no THX-certified theaters. But that will probably change when Warren Theaters opens their new 20-plex in Moore, just south of OKC along I-35. All 20 screens are expected to be THX certified.

quote: Jesse Skeen
I can confirm that THX no longer means anything.
To be even more punishing, having GOOD SOUND no longer means anything.

Most theaters I visit anymore have weak, wimpy sound regardless if they carry a THX certification or not. It is rare to find theaters that have good audio dynamics.

Sure, customers complain about loudness in movies and that gets the levels dialed back to nothing. But maintaining proper EQ and keeping things close to "reference level" also demands more attention and maintenance. You might blow speaker and sub drivers more often. In the end maintaining good sound costs more money.

It seems to me like it's more difficult to maintain good sound quality rather than good projection. If the theater was properly designed in the first place and its projector and lenses are decent then with proper film handling good projection can be achieved much of the time.

OTOH, auditorium sound systems must be periodically retuned and have broken or faulty parts replaced. I think that simply isn't happening in a lot of places.

The manner in the way digital sound was sold in the 1990s, "digital" alone was supposed to fix a lot of that. That makes me concerned about the whole "digital" buzzword in switching over to video projection. What kind of maintenance can we expect there? Lots of digital-based equipment breaks just as often as the "analog" stuff. Maintenance is always going to be an issue.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2006 09:35 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 2 Oklahoma theatres are closer than El Paso.
Three screens in the complex I work at were originally THX but was not renewed (certification-wise)in the past 11 years.
The funny thing was the reaction by some of the film buffs around here..."Oh, You have DTS in those houses anyway, you don't need THX."
[Confused]

Hannes Helfenstein
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2006 09:55 PM      Profile for Hannes Helfenstein   Author's Homepage   Email Hannes Helfenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information, Daniel. As a person from DTS, do you know who mixed the trailer? I'm sure that it was mixed at Skywalker Sound but who of these great guys was responsible for the sound design and the final mix? Do you also know if there will be other movies in DTS-ES soon?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: