Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Looking for stereo mic preamp recommendations.

Author Topic: Looking for stereo mic preamp recommendations.
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2006 11:16 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not using a cinema processor having been limited to mono in the past. Just went from the cell into a mic preamp into an amp. For the time being with my new stereo cell I will do the same using my stereo amplifier until I decide which cinema processor I will purchase. Therefore I'm looking for recommendations for a quality pre amp.
I am currently using two of the Radio Design Labs mic preamps.
I'm not convinced of their quality and wondering what is the pre amp of choice everyone recommends. Stereo in one unit if possible.

Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-09-2006 12:52 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are using a Joe Meek Pro stereo preamp that has a very smooth sound plus a mild noise gate and what's really nice is that the input can accept a wide variety of impedences. We liked it so much that we use them on two of our 16mm machines (even though we only need one channel). The unit also has high and low frequency eq, VU LEDs and it is relatively inexpensive (as pro audio mic preamps can go), I think we got ours for something like $200 and change from Full Compass. It's a nice unit. Prosonus is another pro audio brand that makes a stereo preamp for reasonable price what will work fine for a stereo solar cell.

One caution, if you do buy a studio type mic preamp, be sure to somehow tape over or otherwise make it difficult to activate the 48v phantom power supply switch -- your stereo cell might take grave offence it if were given such a gift! [Eek!]

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2006 02:13 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might try the Shure line of broadcast preamps.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2006 12:21 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank thanks for that link. Lots of goodies. The pre amp you mention is no longer listed.

I have decided to bypass buying a preamp and will make the jump into a used cinema processor. Better to take my time and do it right. Thanks to both for the suggestions.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2006 05:11 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a mike preamp you will not get SR decoading, and your audio will sound a little strange. A (newer) cinema processor will give you proper decoading.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-12-2006 05:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RDL makes good little preamp boxes

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2006 05:52 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gordon

Thats what I was using. It was mono. The quality seamed fine but having to spend money on another one, they do not make a stereo preamp I was looking for some alternative recommendations. I think Im better off though to just make the move to a cinema processor altogether.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2006 06:31 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alan Gouger
I am currently using two of the Radio Design Labs mic preamps
quote: Alan Gouger
Thats what I was using. It was mono
????

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2006 08:20 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard

With my Devry I was using one mono RDL. I also have a second RDL thinking I could use both with my new setup but they are both different models, odd balls to each other. I know I could use them and make them work I am worried about possible mismatch of gain and impedance ect. I decided to play it safe and look for an alternative. Talking to someone on this forum Ive decided to go with a cine processor all together.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-12-2006 10:31 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
didn't you have a smart mod2b at one time with an eprad sword?

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2006 09:20 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon

Yup. That was about 15 years ago. I remember I got your name through Jim Lavado ( spelling ? ) and you aligned my SH1000 soundhead. I had a nice setup back then. Ended up selling everything and getting out of film as my business started to grow taking up all my free time. I never lost the passion and the last few years been putting things back together again including finishing a small dedicated screening room with a small booth. As close to finished as I am it seams I still need so much stuff. It never ends but that's part of the fun.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-13-2006 01:54 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of preamps, I've used the Symetrix (sp?) model with solar cells in a pair of portable machines and it sounded pretty good.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: