Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Is there a place to recycle trailers?

Author Topic: Is there a place to recycle trailers?
Josh Mitoska
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2006 10:18 PM      Profile for Josh Mitoska   Email Josh Mitoska   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there somewhere to recycle trailers? I have been saving all of them for about 5 years and don't want to just through them out? Thanks-

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-09-2006 01:23 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
shove as many in the cans that you receive and send them back to the depots..both ETS and TECH ...and do this every week, for the depots will send those trailers back to the labs to be recycled..

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2006 01:40 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a good idea to return them as soon as you've taken them off the screen, or as soon as you've decided that you'll never screen Flesh Eaters 4 anyway.

Other situations are hanging out for those trailers.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-09-2006 02:21 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does putting them in the cans work? ETS does not send out trailers -- and TES only sends them for WB, DMW and BV... what happens to the Paramount, Fox, New Line and Universal trailers that wind up at the film depots?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-09-2006 03:09 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike .. You ought to see the mass of trailers (sometimes, 10 trailer rolls.) in the can from ETS and TECH that hit the first run houses..(!!!).

Where I now work in a discount theatre, I do, once in a while, get a used print that still have those unused trailers in the cans..

Also, when I used to do film deliveries from the theatres that I used to deliver from, to then, the good ol' National Film Service (whom was absorbed by ETS later on.) and ETS, in SLC..I used to see barrels upon barrels of used film that was destined to head head back to the labs..including the unused trailers..for recycling.

I also remember seeing the help, at these two depots, load up the cans with the prints and the assigned trailers for each of the print.

Lotsa film would be moving in these two depots.. just like the TECH depot - in which that Brad took of.

When I saw these picts that Brad took of TECH, it reminded me so much of National Film in SLC in the basic same form of operation..

Thomas King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2006 09:27 AM      Profile for Thomas King   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're feeling really generous, see if there's a local discount house that could use them. We get a lot of ours from the local Cineworld, and then they hang around for years because we can never totally rule out the possibility of a Flesh-Eaters season.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-09-2006 09:39 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, see if any other theatres in your circuit/area need the trailers.

Second, use them yourself for practice film (teaching new projectionists) and as protective leader on the head and tail of plattered films. (Be sure to cue the automation so picture or sound from the trailers is not shown).

Third, return them to the film exchange for recycling. Many distributors have agreements for the film exchanges to send old film to Kodak FPC in Mountain City TN for recycling:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en/corp/environment/FPC.pdf?id=0.1.4.5.4.16&lc=en

quote:
Last year alone, FPC recycled enough motion picture print film to reach from planet earth to the moon approximately 2 ½ times.
http://www2.sims.berkeley.edu/research/projects/how-much-info/film/details.html

quote:
The Wolfman Report on the Photographic & Imaging Industry in the United States states that the average number of prints per original motion picture is 700. The Silver Institute, however, reports that 6,000 release prints are made for each feature movie. Interestingly, however, these copies are short-lived. 98 percent of all films for theatrical distribution made in the United States are destroyed by FPC, Inc.of Mountain City, Tennessee. After the films are no longer being shown in movie theaters, they are sent to FPC, which destroys10 million pounds of film every year. The film is shredded and sent to FPC's parent company, Kodak, where it is recycled and made into new film or fuel used in power plants. (Source: Associated Press)

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2006 10:16 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Checking to see if the Technicolor Depot will take them back and how to accomplish that. Obviously, if someone else already has that info, Post It.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-09-2006 12:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
You ought to see the mass of trailers (sometimes, 10 trailer rolls.) in the can from ETS and TECH that hit the first run houses.
I know that...we play first run movies quite often. I was talking about used prints. I should have been more clear.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-09-2006 03:28 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry on that, Mike..... I get my trailers from our first run theatres to be used at my discount location.

Yea, Then I just load up the cans with trailers to go back to get recycled that I didn't use..to both depots - figuring that my prints are done for being shown on the big screen and are ready for the recycle bin.

-Monte

Josh Mitoska
Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2006 05:42 PM      Profile for Josh Mitoska   Email Josh Mitoska   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pick up my prints from the ETS Depot, I will check with them and just load my car up next time I go to get a print-thanks

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: