Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Screens for outdoor use

Author Topic: Screens for outdoor use
Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2006 03:28 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will install both in one Open-Air cinema and peoples now need suitable solution for screen. Projection on white wall is out of question because it must be something with metal construction, I was thinking about real perforated movie screen but I don't know what effect would be on sun and rain? Another idea is to put some white material like is on sailing boats and for that rain and sun isn't problem. And ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Neil Fish
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2006 10:10 AM      Profile for Neil Fish   Author's Homepage   Email Neil Fish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marin, Go to seabox.com > Modification Examples > Containers as Structures > Walt Disney. This may offer a solution, as these containers are available worldwide, are inexpensive, and can serve as a screen if the sides are smooth, or serve as a screen frame as in the Disney example. Just be sure to have an engineer do wind load calculations if you are going to stack them- they may need to be attached to a footing.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2006 05:24 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neil, these containers are not cheap, and it's kind of ugly solution I think, but funny idea I never can thought of that! I think that we put white plastic material on steel frame.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-08-2006 07:01 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a drive-in that's already done this... though on a much smaller scale... only 3 containers.

Still, he says it worked out pretty well. They put concrete footings under the boxes, and faced them with 4X8 sheets.

I don't know if there's a better picture of it... the screen in the rear of this one is hard to make out... but I think those are the containers behind it.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-08-2006 11:17 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Practically all containers have corragated sides to support the load of stacking them during transit and in the port. We have used two stacked 40 foot (12.19 meter)containers with a 38 foot (11.58 meter) screen attached for outdoor shows...we don't have the worry of a sheet flapping in a frame or airscreen "dancing" due to wind.

Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2006 03:21 AM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marin,
My outdoor has a permanent screen which is 10m wide and sits above the ground level by around 2m so the image is well up into the air.
It is engineer designed and consists of 3 x 100mm sq galv tube legs sunk into concrete with 3x 50mm sq galv tube rails bolted onto brackets welded to the legs.
The top of each leg has a windstrut (50mm SQ Galv tube) each bolted onto another bracket and then each of the 3 struts run backwards about 3m from the rear of the screen and are also sunk into concrete in the ground.
The screen face is steel sheet called Sign White here in OZ and is rivetted plus stuck on with a caulking material onto 25mm SQ galv tube frames which are then bolted onto the 3 horizontal rails.
Face is painted white with a matt vinyl acrylic paint which has an anti mould additive in with it to stop the face slowly going spotty with mould.
It sits outdoors all year and gets a spruce up each summer ready for the season. Sometimes this amounts to a repaint and other times it is just a scrub down with sugar soap.
Black border painted around for the scope ratio and W/S fits in the middle of that so on W/S there is a painted edge only top and bottom.
Speakers (column design) L & R are mounted on brackets, centre has the HF horn up on top and a big wheeled bass "W" bin with 2 x 15" bass speakers plus powered sub woofer stuffed inside the big box as well as crossover for HF & LF speakers and DC power supply for HF horn magnet (an old multi-cellular flare type... big and heavy).
Been like that now for 10 seasons... number 11 coming up and apart from replacing the odd rivet it has never moved in quite strong gusty winds we get here.
Run a Strong Lumex (yellow one)modified for 2.5kw lamps but only run the lamp at just under 70amps as the Century CC with twin shutters puts heaps of light up there and taking the lamp up to 80 amps makes it too bright... flicker very obvious.
Throw is about 35m and we seat 310 in deck chairs plus up to another 200 hundred in their own chairs or just laying on the grass in front of the screen.
Lindsay

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2006 08:53 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, today we put frame for screen on air!

So now is question of using real cinema screen (perforated) or some white stuff? What can be do on real cinema screen if is on air with sun during day and sometimes rain?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-19-2006 08:01 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pictures please, Lindsay.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2006 08:29 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'll put some pics's but I'm not in that town now, I will be for day or two when I went to install both!

What do you think of screen using in open air? I heard there couldn't be any damage made by sun or rain, is it true?

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2006 09:01 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a couple of photos of Lindsay's outdoor he sent me a while back. Hope you don't mind me posting these Lindsay.

-

-

Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2006 08:37 PM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Paul has done it for me and no worries there Paul doing that as I still have to get around to sorting out the computer issues etc I have... and that has taken a back seat whilst I mess about getting my screening room sorted. (HATE computers but love messing with 35mm plant).

I guess you would prefer some more detailed construction type shots of how the thing is constructed etc.
Next week I plan to do some maintenance on the place so will take the digital camera up and take some construction images. By then I should have the Virus software running on the XP computer which allows the camera to dump its load.
So all being well I may be able to post some more detailed shots of the screen.

Marin, The normal type cinema screens, perforated/fabric/plastic or whatever are a pain in the butt IF you have much air movement as unless they are pulled up really tight the flexing away from or towards the audience drives the projectionist NUTS... if he is watching the screen.... as the focus goes everywhere.
There is one outdoor 15m wide normal perforated cinema screen here in Perth that is in a sheltered area and does not get much wind movement and image is VG BUT there are a couple of smaller ones that when the breeze gets up they are dreadful to watch.

I don't have that issue as it will take a cyclone to make mine move but even so on windy nights I can often hear the steel sheets "pop" and occasionally I have to replace the odd broken rivet.
Rain does not seem to bother the perforated screens or even the plain flat plastic ones. I used to have mould issues but finding a paint that had an anti mould additive was a great help and the dust that settles on the face just cannot create mould over winter when the area gets very damp and cold.

Lindsay

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: