Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Superior Quartz Lamps (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Superior Quartz Lamps
William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2006 10:18 AM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im thinking of changing to Superior Quartz for my lamps.
What are they like?. I would be using a 1.6k and 2k. Osram versions are 1.6khsc and 2kshsc.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 06-07-2006 02:43 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are very good lamps!

-Aaron

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-07-2006 02:45 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used them in 1.6, 2, 4 and 7kW versions. All have worked very well.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-07-2006 04:08 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been using them for over two years, now. Haven't had a single missed strike. Never had to press the STRIKE button even one time.

I'd recommend them to anybody.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-08-2006 02:54 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With these Superior Quartz bulbs, what is the price comparison between Osram and Christie ..for a 2k bulb.. (we won't bring in LTI, even though they are cheaper..but poor bulbs..)

-thx Monte

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-08-2006 11:39 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone else will have to chime in on that, Monty. I used Osrams and Christies in 4 & 7kW. Never tried them below those levels. I get fairly comparable service out of all of them, though I don't normally take them excessively past warranty.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2006 12:30 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know a certain someone that bet their reputations on these bulbs. Guess what - they still have a good reputation!

Highly recommended.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2006 03:05 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to add a "ditto" to the foregoing remarks because they are good lamps, and also because Denny Losco of SQP has been so helpful and is a pleasure to work with.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-08-2006 09:44 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have used several 3k. All developed significant flicker around
800 hrs. They were rotated at 250 hr. intervals. Could be our
14 degree angle. Other brands develop the flicker around 1500 hrs.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-09-2006 01:39 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Ondracek
I used Osrams and Christies in 4 & 7kW. Never tried them below those levels. I get fairly comparable service out of all of them, though I don't normally take them excessively past warranty.

..have to laugh for I've got 2k Christies that have hours well into the 5000 range...and the damned things still light up on the first strike, good light and no flicker..they just have the neat little "horns" on the anode plug.

quote: Bill Enos
Have used several 3k. All developed significant flicker around
800 hrs. They were rotated at 250 hr. intervals. Could be our
14 degree angle. Other brands develop the flicker around 1500 hrs.

..can't see the downward angle of your machines if the bulbs are designed to operate at that angle on the flickering issue. Are you using either the Osrams or the Christies? And wonder if your rectifier(s) have some DC ripple problems.

Some 3k bulbs only have warranty for 900 hrs...

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-09-2006 03:00 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yah... I know... I've been on the receiving end of a couple of tart comments about that.

Only thing is, I have $1,800+ glass reflectors in my lamphouses. I'll change the bulbs, thanks! [Smile]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-09-2006 04:21 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yet, Jack, I can totally agree with you being very accurate on your bulb changing and as you mentioned..using the glass mirrors

...And where I handled 4 and 6k bulbs myself.."You get those thing outta there before they hit 1400 hrs..even with metal mirrors"

Why I mentioned the high hours, is due to how good Christie bulbs can last with such high hours - couldn't do that with some other bulbs - I would pull those out at 3000 hrs..or, even right after warranty...(yes, waiting for new ones to come in, so I can pull those 5k hour bulbs out..)

..and seen some other consoles drag 2k Osram bulbs WAY past what I mentioned..almost to 10k hours....and they complain that the picture has gotten dim... You pull them worn things out, do the destruction thing on them and all they do is just shatter..not pop or explode.

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2006 06:06 AM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers,
Ive also been looking at LTI lamps.
Does anyone from UK use superior of LTI, I would like to get in touch and if possiable arrange a visit to see them in action.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2006 06:45 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: William Phillips
Ive also been looking at LTI lamps.
Does anyone from UK use superior of LTI

[puke] [Roll Eyes]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2006 08:56 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Ondracek
Only thing is, I have $1,800+ glass reflectors in my lamphouses
what???? What kind of lamphouses? That sounds pretty expensive.

Rick

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: