Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Wiring a cell for beginners. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wiring a cell for beginners.
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2006 07:19 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im wiring my very first stereo cell and want to make sure I get this correct. I have three wires coming off the cell into the connecting block. Grn,Blk,Red. From the research Ive done green is left and red is right. Blk is ground. The wire Im using has an additional shield wire running through the jacket. This is where I need help. Do I connect that at one end and float it at the other and if so what end. Does anything go to projector ground. I definitely want to eliminate the possibility of any interference. Thanks for putting up with the newbie question [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-05-2006 08:00 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the way it is. Red is left Black wires are tied together to the common and green is right. Connect the shield at the preamp ground E connection only.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-05-2006 09:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Navy style red=port (left) green= starboard (right)

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2006 10:25 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Port and starboard? Ok, that oughta help him... [thumbsup]

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2006 09:01 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-06-2006 09:37 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Alan, make sure you use high quality Belden or equiv audio cable suitable for microphone signals. The signal coming out of that cell is mic level and thus gets substantial amplification at the processor. Although the signal is balanced, you want a cable that has good shielding. A good mic cable will ward off pesky noise problems.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 06-06-2006 10:20 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the best practical cables for this purpose is Belden 8723. It has two pairs, red/black and green/white with one overall shield. It make mistaking the left and right signals almost impossible, and is very imporant to have two balanced pairs if you are using a red reader with balanced outputs.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-06-2006 11:09 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amen to Sam! That is very best possible cable! Louis

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2006 11:34 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank and Sam thanks for the advice. The cable Im using is indeed two pairs, red/black and green/white with one overall shield but it is not Belden.
Question: Im up and running and notice every once in a while I will get a loud crack or static type noise. Is static a normal concern with analog tracks?
My booth is in the basement with carpet, no humidifier as of yet but I plan on adding one very soon. Its needed. Wiring and electronics are clean so Im confident they are not the culprit. Im thinking of adding a film cleaner machine with some Film Guard. That should help with static cling.

[ 06-06-2006, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Alan Gouger ]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-07-2006 10:54 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Belden 8723 was mis-described above. It is not an OVERALL shield cable but an individually shielded cable with a common drain. An overall shield would have all four conductors co mingling without the benefit of a twisted pair for noise immunity from within (or crosstalk). 8723 acts like two individual runs but with only one shield to terminate. It is truely a great cable...accept no substitutes!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-07-2006 03:46 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The click you describe is sometimes caused by static electricity. When I tell you to add a ground wire, I am not talking about changing any of your existing wiring. Ground the frame of the cell solidly to the frame of the projector. If you have a Simplex or RCA, it is possible that the floating chassis is not still grounded until you do this. Louis

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-07-2006 03:56 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it's called the "Special Purpose Audio" cable.

And, yes, port and starboard...that's actually where that code comes from, so they're not being cheeky.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 06-07-2006 06:25 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

It's not your turn to be pedantic, but you are correct. I believe the color scheme came from Ioan Allen who spent some time in the Royal Navy

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-07-2006 06:48 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Easy ways to remember which is which...

"I wonder if there's any red port wine left"

Or for the goodie-2-shoes:

"Port is a red wine and wine is not right" (That's the one I think of...) [beer]

Marc Hansen
Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2006 08:30 PM      Profile for Marc Hansen   Email Marc Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And for those who don't know wine at all just remember that all the short words (port,red,left) go together and all the long words (starboard,green,right) go together.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: