Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xetron bulb air flow standard

Author Topic: Xetron bulb air flow standard
Christopher Ivanyi
Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2006 10:51 AM      Profile for Christopher Ivanyi   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Ivanyi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just upgraded the ol' carbon arcs to a pair of Xetron lamp houses for our wonderful Brenkert projectors. I am wondering what the standard cubic feet per minute air flow requirement is for these new 3000 watt xenon bulbs. It was recommended that I have 350 CFMs of air flow. How does can I verify this requirement?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-05-2006 03:12 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a Xetron letter written May 1995 states....."a minimum of 500 cfm at the stack measured with the doors closed. Doors open vs. doors closed may vary greatly."

I would add; there is no way to have too much air. If in doubt, you should always anticipate that a proper exhaust will try and pull your cleaning rag out of your hand when cleaning. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-05-2006 08:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The size blower you will need depends on the altitude and air density that you are at/in. Assuming that you are near or at sea level... an 800 to 900 cfm blower will work well for up to 3kw... but aren't there mountains in NH? Here in SLC we are near or at 5000 feet and with many Mountain States customers at much higher elevations... some at 9000 feet... and to get 800 to 900 cfm for a 2kw lamp which is a decent amount of airflow for that size lamp and will generate decent lamp life a blower thats comnsiderable larger has to be spec'd into the system plans. In old installations that have belt drove blowers a variable sheave on the motor will aid in getting things at or near spec but wiith direct drive blowers they typically have to be replaced with a larger unit.

Just my 10 cents worth.....

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-05-2006 09:43 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually you can overcool a lamp and make it unstable
Also the xetron has a 6" vent so the static pressure will be the limiting factor

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-05-2006 11:59 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So...here's an interesting question then: Turbine blowers, or Squirrel Cage blowers for any xenon lamphouse..or, is it just the CFM thing that is important, for I've seen many theatres with turbine blowers on the roofs..Yet, I can see the squirrel cage varieties pull air up tons better and more effectively...

Bet those old carbon arc lamphouses had squirrel cage blowers on the roof....

thx-Monte

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2006 12:45 AM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon - What actually happens if you overcool a lamp and make it unstable?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-06-2006 03:36 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard this but never experienced it in my 25 yeas in this buisness. Perhps if you used greatly chilled air or something....

Great cooling = long lamp life... Some of our customers get 12,000+ hours from Christie lamps in SLC consoles. While I don't promote pushing them like this I have to say the lamps go in clear and come back out clear. They finally are difficult to strike and maintain an arc at that many hours.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-06-2006 03:58 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
Actually you can overcool a lamp and make it unstable
This is true. I actually had this problem down in Houston years ago with several theatres.

Btw, Mark... CHECK YOUR PM'S! I've sent you several, some from way back last year, that you haven't even opened yet! [Roll Eyes] [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-06-2006 07:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tim,

Just checked and there was just one and it had been opened. It was from earlier this year.... Try using my noemal e-mail instead.... Justin does that and I get his messages.....

I would say that obviously I've never overcooled a lamp otherwise I wold have seen the effects of doing so.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-06-2006 07:30 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have NEVER had a problem with overcooling. (I have heard others complain.) Of course, I get very high hours with Osram AND Christie, as well. It must be magic! Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-06-2006 08:12 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
within reason cooling should err or shall we say air on the side of higher output

to move the same volume of air through a smaller orfice then the velocity must increase

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-06-2006 08:27 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Tim, Just checked and there was just one and it had been opened. It was from earlier this year....
Humm, okay. For some reason, only one had registered as read. The rest all said, "Unread by recipient".

Re: my overcooled bulbs in Houston, they were in Kneisley /Ashcraft conversions in several different GCC locations. Gulfgate Mall, Meyerland 3, and others of those vintage. Osram 2k bulbs, I believe they were. They'd start becoming unstable around a thousand hours, and get worse.

Upon my supervisor's suggestion (good ol' Lamarr Michael) that they were being over-cooled, I damped the flues down enough to get closer to the recommended draft spec at the lamphouse exhaust, and the problem went away! Of course, it was too late to save the bulbs that were already flickering, but I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-06-2006 12:35 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that I do notice about with the SLC consoles that is probably another major factor on cooling is the enclosed plenum with the blower mounted on top-and a healthy sized motor at that.

Definitely blowing quite a good amount of air behind the bulb.

Also, with the 45 Reference consoles with the anode blower as well.

Now, just add a massive exhaust system attached to all of this and, as what Mark has mentioned, great bulb life and clear ones as well..

..just love anything from Christie ...

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-06-2006 06:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of hours ago I pulled a CXL-20 out at a theatre in Ketchum, ID. that had in excess of 8400 hours on it... clear glass however the anode certainly looked like somethng from Craters Of The Moon National Park, it had been in since 2003... The lamp would light fine when cold... for the first show but once it was hot it had a difficult time re-striking and settling back in. Elevation 5940'.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: