Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Weird shadows on the edge of frame (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Weird shadows on the edge of frame
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2006 09:52 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This just started recently: a slightly dark area along the top and bottom of the frame (more noticeable on the bottom). I've checked the aperture plates, and they seem fine. Cleaned out the projector, as usual. Cleaned the port glass, etc.. What could be causing this?

Here's what it looks like (created in PhotoShop)

-

[Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-27-2006 10:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Remove the aperture plate and let us know if the fuzzy edges are still there.

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2006 10:51 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad: I wiggled the aperture plate, and the fuzzy/dark lines move with it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-27-2006 11:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There ya go! Odds are someone moved aperture plates around between auditoriums. Regardless, give your tech a call and let him know you need an aperture plate trimmed or a new plate cut.

Martin Ubilluz
Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2006 01:32 AM      Profile for Martin Ubilluz   Email Martin Ubilluz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you might need to focus your bulb also i would think if you have never moved your apature plate ever its prob you bulb focus

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-28-2006 01:40 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
adjustable masking settings slipped out of time? . seen many of that .. - Monte

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-28-2006 09:07 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the projector have a lens turret?

Could be the turret slipping out of position, moving the picture slightly off the screen and onto the masking.

The same thing can also happen if the projector doesn't have a turret but it's a lot more common with turrets.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-28-2006 09:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Bulb focus and masking stops are good suggestions. It's not your turret, as you said it was on both the top and the bottom.

I always forget about those stupid top/bottom masking auditorium designs. The masking theory will only affect those. What is your setup?

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2006 12:06 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No turret. One auditorium. No masking. We've used the same aperture plate since we opened, but the problem just started. Quite a conundrum indeed. How does one go about focusing a bulb without calling my tech and having him drive 4 hours to do it for me?

I'm on a Simplex XL with an old ORC lamphouse.

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2006 12:55 PM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
could the ap plate have annealed? might just need some touch-up work.

Martin Ubilluz
Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2006 02:48 PM      Profile for Martin Ubilluz   Email Martin Ubilluz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
deff bulb focus my lamp house has a bulb focus slot on the side of the lamp house that you need to stick a screw fdriver in you migh have to play with the verticle and horizontle too whitch on my lamp house is found on the same place play with the focus first though

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-28-2006 10:53 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Chilton
No turret. One auditorium. No masking.
No masking? I would think this is a normal look then.

Tommie Evans
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2006 08:24 AM      Profile for Tommie Evans   Email Tommie Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You also have another problem. . .

X-Men 3 is scope! [thumbsup]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-29-2006 01:59 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tommie - you didn't read his descript: He did a photoshop of a scene from XM3 - prob scanned this scene from an ad page then touched up that scene to make it look like the imagry that is on his screen.

Tommie Evans
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2006 05:00 PM      Profile for Tommie Evans   Email Tommie Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Tommie - you didn't read his descript: He did a photoshop of a scene from XM3 - prob scanned this scene from an ad page then touched up that scene to make it look like the imagry that is on his screen.
Hey, I was just joking. . .

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: