Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Harkins Southlake (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Harkins Southlake
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-27-2006 03:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting. Looks like Harkins is putting some money and showmanship back into the moviegoing experience. (Assuming of course their projectionists and installing/servicing technicians are truly up to snuff.)

I find it odd though that they are advertising "the largest screen in Dallas/Fort Worth". According to the article here, the big screen is 70 feet wide. Cinemark Webb Chapel has two 75 foot wide screens and UA Galaxy has two 78 foot wide screens, both of which are in Dallas.

-
Link to article

quote: Dallas Morning News

Multiplex has lots to wow you

THEATERS: Amenities at Southlake 14 include child care, gourmet eats

06:26 PM CDT on Thursday, May 25, 2006

By PHILIP WUNTCH / Movie Critic

At Harkins Southlake Town Square 14, everywhere you look, you'll be wowed.

Unlike some multiplexes, the new complex doesn't evoke the mood of a stately corporate office.

Instead, its marble, neon and granite colorings and textures create a sense of celebration, fun and glamour.

The Southlake multiplex, which opens today at 1450 Plaza Place, is the first that Phoenix-based Harkins Theatres has built in Texas.

It's also one of the chain's first ventures outside Arizona.

"We believe in a word that's missing from some exhibitors' vocabularies," says owner and president Dan Harkins. "The word is 'showmanship.' "

And nowhere is showmanship more evident than in the Southlake's premier auditorium, the 600-seat Cine Capri.

The first glance at the auditorium reminds veteran moviegoers of how theaters used to look in a less streamlined era.

During intermissions, gold waterfall curtains cover the Cine Capri's giant 70-foot screen.

On the draped walls and behind the screen are 150 speakers delivering 26,900 watts of virtually flawless digital sound.

The other 13 auditoriums also are attractive, with handsomely designed soundproof walls. And the seats, designed by Mr. Harkins' chiropractor wife, Karen, are comfortable, with just the right amount of mobility.

The original Cine Capri opened in Phoenix in 1966 as a Cinerama showplace and had the country's best run of Star Wars in 1977. The theater was leased in 1988 to Mr. Harkins, who sought to restore its former glory.

"In 1992, I negotiated with George Lucas to have a special run of the original Star Wars," Mr. Harkins says. "He agreed, as long as all the receipts went to charity. It grossed a fantastic $73,000, all of which went to charity. And its success prompted Fox to rerelease Star Wars IV-VI before they released The Phantom Menace."

Sadly, despite a two-year period of petitions and protests, the theater was torn down to make way for condominiums.

"When you look at the Cine Capri in Southlake, you understand how much the original theater must have meant to Phoenix," Mr. Harkins says.

Another enhancement to the Dallas-Fort Worth movie scene is Southlake's play center, where parents can drop off kids ages 3-8 while they see a movie. Its supervisors have previous child-care experience and have passed the chain's mandatory background checks.

For $6 per child, they can play house and enjoy movie-themed games, beanbags, board games, blocks and toys, including movie-related stuffed animals. Parents and children have matching wristbands, and parents are given a pager in case an emergency occurs.

While the tots are playing, parents can grab dinner at the gourmet concession stand, which features 150 items, including frosted pretzels, cheese sticks, chicken tenders, pizza, spring rolls, brownie bites and popcorn made with canola oil and real butter.

With dinner, a movie and child care available at the theater, it looks as if things just got a little tougher for the neighborhood baby sitter.

And I must ask...what's up with the "150 speakers" bit? I'll bet anything they are counting actual drivers. For example, a 3 way screen speaker with a quad bass cabinet is probably being counted as seven speakers, even though most people would call it one speaker. Can anyone confirm? [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-27-2006 03:47 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, this must be a costly operation....I hope they can make it profitable because is sure is the only way theatres are going to reverse the stay-at-home-is-better trend. [thumbsup] I'd love to see pictures.

Brad, we all know that the press guy has to put some hype in their press releases -- it's the movie business after all. I wouldn't hold that against them -- counting drivers, hey, it's a clever trick and it's not exactly a lie.

And unless I missed something in that ad, am I correct in assuming that they didn't feel the need to install a single digital system to get excellent "showmanship"? And if they did, they don't think it is enough of a marketing hook to even mention it in the ad or feed it to the reviewer?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-27-2006 04:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This theater sounds very similar to the Harkins Bricktown 16 theater in downtown Oklahoma City (which was the FIRST theater Harkins built outside of Arizona).

150 speakers? Yeah, I'm sure they're counting speaker drivers rather than actual enclosures. The Cine Capris screen in Oklahoma City does have a lot of speaker enclosures though.

As to the "biggest screen" claim, I agree, the UA Galaxy off LBJ Freeway near Garland still has the biggest indoor commercial theater screens in the DFW area. They're bigger than 70' anyway.

The "best run of Star Wars" claim in the article is really pretty odd. I would figure some of the original 70mm showings at premiere class theaters in Westwood and New York (not to mention Northpark #1 in Dallas) would have to be every bit as great, if not potentially even better.

Harkins' Cine Capris concept is a decent one though. It's just too bad they don't have 70mm in these auditoriums. I think a 70' wide screen is just a tad bit too big for any 35mm projector. The image quality just runs a little on the dim side, even with a really good Kinoton projector in the booth. Sound quality is nice and beefy, which is a pleasant break from all those theaters with anemic audio.

Does the lobby at this new Harkins site in Texas feature a full blown film projector setup? The lobby at the Bricktown, Oklahoma City theater has a projector and platter installed over the box office showing trailers on a really big screen above the concession counter. There's even surround speakers all around the lobby -although the volume level is turned down a few notches.

Harkins' Bricktown 16 theater is currently the best movie theater complex in OKC. However construction is now underway on the Warren Theaters Moore 20 just south of OKC. That one will likely outclass Harkins' efforts. Either way, that's the sort of competition we need to see in the movie theater business. It doesn't matter for squat on who has the most screens. Whoever has the best screens is the more important factor to measure.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-27-2006 04:43 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Cinemark Webb Chapel has two 75 foot wide screens and UA Galaxy has two 78 foot wide screens, both of which are in Dallas.

..wonder how the picture looks like on these big of screens. A lot of acreage to cover from a small 35mm frame.. let alone the maximum 7k bulb illumination for 35mm..

..unless these are also screens for 35/70mm/DigCinema ...

thx-monte

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-27-2006 04:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This theatre sounds interesting...too bad he has to run the same crap movies that Hollywood is cranking out nowadays.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-27-2006 04:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..also, if I may add .. is that in the NATO's "FOCUS" magazine is an topic of how the massive increase of screens are exploding in the USA once again..growth abound almost everywhere with multis and megas..

Harkins, REG, and other circuits seens to be getting on the cinema explosion bandwagon again..

Wonder if it's the demand for digital presentations is what's causing this massive spur of screen growth...

....gonna be interesting to see what happens in the future..

-Monte

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2006 05:20 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would bet it is 150 speakers for the entire complex. I remember some theater a few years back advertised 100' ft screens, I think they meant all of the screens combined.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2006 05:22 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby-- I aggre with all you say above, and Frank above you. I
worked at the original Cine Capri, which opened with two JJ3s,
Ampex 6 channel audio and the whole nine yards. We ran about
every 70MM picture ever made with two operators in the booth at
all times. The Cine Capri was conveived and built by ABC-PARAMOUNT Theaters in 1966 and later on run into the ground by
Plitt Theatres and then taken over by Harkins (who closed it with TITANIC, and then it was torn down to make way for a multi-level office building.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I've never understood the need for
multicolored neon hanging everywhere in a theatre where one goes in to see a MOVIE!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-27-2006 06:35 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The neon all over the lobby, ornate decoration and lavish signs on the outside of the place are all necessary because atmosphere is a big part of the movie-going experience.

Frankly, I'm not going to pay any kind of premium at all to watch a movie in a plain, cinderblock building with all the personality of a government health clinic -especially if the theater is showing digital video with not much more native pixel detail than one can see on a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disc.

It's that old restaurant analogy. You can cook a really great meal at home. When you go out to eat at a decent restaurant you expect more than just decent food on your plate. Nice surroundings (and good service) are absolutely required.

quote: Monte L Fullmer
..wonder how the picture looks like on these big of screens. A lot of acreage to cover from a small 35mm frame.. let alone the maximum 7k bulb illumination for 35mm..
I watched Waterworld at a pre-opening party for the Cinemark Webb-Chapel+LBJ Frwy theater. Image quality was kind of dim and a bit blurry as well. I saw the same sort of thing when watching The Rock on one of the huge screens at the UA Galaxy when it was newly built.

The same kind of observations can be had at the 70' wide screen at the OKC/Bricktown Cine Capris theater. And I'll bet the quality is the same at the new one in Texas. The folks who put these theaters together are probably trying to do all they can to make 35mm work as best as possible on these huge screens. I just think the giant size of these screens is simply too much for the 4/35 format to handle.

Simply projecting a film (or digital) image as big as possible threatens to ignore two other very critical factors: image brightness and image sharpness. 35mm falls down at certain screen sizes with those last two factors. 5/70 could handle such screen sizes fine. That's why a number of these movie theaters need to be showing 5-perf 70mm blowup prints for any movie they show. Yes. These auditoriums should only show films in 70mm -if they're projecting film prints. But we all know 70mm has little if any chance of being used again with all the hype over all things "digital".

Perhaps Christie and a few other projector manufacturers need to re-think some of their digital projector designs. Not only do they need to support native 4K resolution (or better). They need to jump up from those bulb maximums of 6000 watts and start designing digital projectors with lamps in the 10000 to 15000 watt range. 70' to 80' wide screens need that sort of brightness.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-27-2006 07:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Given the fact that both theaters are using 4500 watt bulbs, the image is quite impressive actually. I measured 12fl in scope at the Galaxy once. Those Christie SLC consoles go a long way, even with matte screens.

Bobby - the Cinemark opened with 7K lamps in CFS consoles. The image was quite horrible. They achieved much more light when they switched to the 4500 watt SLC. Still, I find it inexcusable that these theaters are not burning a 6 or 7K lamp in those rooms.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-27-2006 11:11 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think Waterworld looked too awful bad at the pre-opening screening I watched. However, I later saw Jumanji in a similar large-screened house a few months later when Cinemark opened a theater in Grapevine. Now that one looked BAD. And the SDDS system they trumpeted in their ads wasn't working either.
[Mad]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-27-2006 11:27 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark - The Best Seat in Town!®*

*May not apply to theaters we built in the late 80s - early 90s.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-28-2006 01:47 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Those Christie SLC consoles go a long way, even with matte screens.

Brad, (or anybody).. maybe you can help me on this one then: I do absolutely love the Christie SLC and the SLC-45 consoles. What makes them produce more light than the Strong Super Hilite II's that has to burn 7k bulbs with the same size of screen and the light output looks horrible whereas the SLC(45) can shoot a great light using just the 4.5k bulbs?

Just could never figure that one out unless it's the way the mirror is built for each console..and it seems like that the Christie mirror is just a simple mirror, but somehow they really get the light out through the machine...

Thx-Monte

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-28-2006 05:25 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And to take Monte's point further, anyone know what Technilight does to make their lamphouse conversion produce what they claim and what Drive-In operators who have installed them say, increases light output by almost double while using the same lamp size. The guys on the DI file list who went with the Technilight conversion say they get significantly more light from that proprietary system and without increasing bulb wattage. One would think if such technology is do-able, Strong and Christie and the other lamphouse manufacturers would incorporate those advances into their current models, unless there maybe patent issues?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-28-2006 08:23 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, have never had a Christie out-light a Strong of like vintage...in fact, the Christie has normally come up on the short end of the stick. What Christie does do is have their white point MUCH higher...they will put out 6500K whilst the Strong will be closer to 5500K...but in terms of quantity of light, Christie has yet to show me that they have as much light as Strong. What Christie does seem to beat others in is more heat.

Frank, Strong now has 3 different reflectors for the Highlight II console. One is said to be optimized for the Ultra-Star Plus lenses and is supposed to yield even more light.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: