Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Foil Cue Size (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Foil Cue Size
Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2006 02:21 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our auto works faultlessly with a centre foil cue no larger than 5mm square. Yet I sometimes have to peal off 30mm lengths over the image when the print comes from another cinema.

Also, I do find edge cues difficult to remove.

|  IP: Logged

Paer Hoegberg
Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2006 02:36 AM      Profile for Paer Hoegberg   Email Paer Hoegberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We try to keep the foil between 3mmm och 5mm.
A cue over 10mm are sometime missed.

To make the foil que easyer to remove we put splicing tape between the film and the cue.

Chris Unwin
Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2006 03:07 AM      Profile for Chris Unwin   Email Chris Unwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
try buying the precut tabs of foil. Much easier & quicker, plus if you are using the splicer guilotine to cut the foil it will get dull VERY QUICKLY!

Nick Scott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2006 06:43 AM      Profile for Nick Scott   Author's Homepage   Email Nick Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those edge cue's are a gem to remove with a dab of Film Guard 2 rubs and shes sweet. [thumbsup]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-26-2006 07:20 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Different brands of automation and cue sensors require diffent lengths and widths and in some cases different grades of tape
One size doesn't fit all

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2006 03:03 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather have an edge cue that can be hidden amongst black & fade outs than anything within the image area. About 5 cm. of silver works for our detectors, which are all quite old. I'm very glad to not be working with the Maxi 12X-PC (now Big Sky) units with their opticue matrix, anymore. Too much finger contact to remove those frame line rectangles! [evil]

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2006 09:24 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paer, isn't it easier to put the tape (16mm will suffice) over the cue, without removing the backing paper?

Then you can simply peal off the tape and lift the foil off. You can even use that cue again on another print.

So Gordon, size does matter, for some systems anyway. Pity. But it does look obtrusive.

And I must remember to have the FilmGuard handy for those stubborn foils. Embarassing how I give this advice to others and forget to use it myself.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-26-2006 09:48 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A question from a non-automation booth guy....these cues are always applied to the base side of the film and not on the emulsion, right? I have had to remove foil from the sprocket hole edge in which the foil was folded over both sided of the film --- seemed like over-kill to me (and a pain to remove). Is this designed like this or is it just guys finding it easier to fold over tape rather than trim it?

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2006 11:18 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, I think that the person making up the print can’t remember which side of the film the sensor reads so they put a strip on both sides, whether it is a centre or side cue. While they’re having a bit on the side, some of those foils must upset the SDDS track.

After hearing a story from another cinema, we always check for cues at the end of spools. Automated changeover houses can cause your show to close down in the middle of a film.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2006 11:26 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or a square of aluminium foil (for lining baking trays etc) attached with splicing tape works just as well, and you can cut it to measure.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2006 12:31 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Used hub caps can be stuck on with blue-tac as well

Paer Hoegberg
Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2006 01:24 AM      Profile for Paer Hoegberg   Email Paer Hoegberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sound up on the platter, foil on the outside.
That way its easyer to find when breaking down.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-27-2006 04:02 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
Is this designed like this or is it just guys finding it easier to fold over tape rather than trim it?

There are some failsafe units that uses a device called a 'grounding roller' - a roller that is constructed of aluminum that was always ahead of the two sensing roller(s) that are on each side of the film which contains the communication wire(s) that would run to the automation.

The film ran in front, or between the grounding roller and the sensing roller to make a complete circuit to began that programmed sequence. And, it needed the foil to be on both sides of the film...and the long length needed to close the dry contacts in the relay to actuate the cam motors.

We would always change out our sensing foil once a week due to the severe cracking of the foil tape. When the foil tape begins to crack, it makes it harder to make the complete circuit to close the relay to actuate the cam motors in the automation.

Some automations required that the non-soundtrack side was destined for dowser drop and houselight up. Others were the common soundtrack side. Then, you get those that have dual channels - inboard for the lights up and outboard for the dowser drop.

The four plex that I worked at, we ran soundtrack down and had the dual channel foil cue system..

-Monte

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2006 01:10 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Curran
Used hub caps can be stuck on with blue-tac as well
Dude, it works well without leaving residue. Obviously the pre-used prints I get have used "stick on" foil, as they cut the thing out instead of ripping it off & removing residue.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2006 02:45 AM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have automation and remove all cues religiously. I do media screenings for several art house distributors and I used to get prints that had been made up by the mulitplex due to screen it onto their 6k reels. They had applied their own cues and I would still remove them, even though I only screened the film once after which the print is returned to them. I just can't stand the sight of them, especially the larger sized ones.

quote: Ron Curran
After hearing a story from another cinema, we always check for cues at the end of spools. Automated changeover houses can cause your show to close down in the middle of a film.

This happened several times at the Village City Centre cinemas when the hosted the Melbourne International Film Festival over the last few years. On these occasions the 600+ (sometimes 800) strong audience weren't happy at all.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: