Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Carbon Arc Booth (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Carbon Arc Booth
Chris Unwin
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 04:01 AM      Profile for Chris Unwin   Email Chris Unwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone out there know of a carbon arc booth that is still in operation around my area!? I'm in Vancouver B.C. Canada. I have never seen a carbon arc booth & would LOVE to. I have holidays coming soon & would like to find a theatre that has carbons that I could visit. Would be looking in British Columbia, Alberta, Washington, Oregon and the rest of the western states.......thanks so much to anyone that could help!

-Chris

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-24-2006 02:08 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here I am in a classic carbon arc booth last month..had tons of fun that night...(haven't operated a carbon arc booth since 1984)..being an actual projectionist was a thrill - none of this platterwinding, xenon bulb striking, button pushing to start a movie nonsense..et.al. This is where you definitely had to use the actual skills of projecting,

-

email me if you want info on this place.

-Monte

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-24-2006 02:52 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ridge in BC may still have carbon arc.

Dan Zastrow
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 03:26 PM      Profile for Dan Zastrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Zastrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe The Stanford Theater in Palo Alto is running carbon...bit of a drive:)

Monte-I was working the Plaza Theater in Petaluma in the early 80’s running carbon and it was lots of fun. Your photo brings back the memories-looks very much like that booth did. A decade before my uncle was a projectionist in the same booth running DEEP THROAT for a year straight!

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-24-2006 03:46 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was working the Plaza Theater in Petaluma in the early 80’s running carbon and it was lots of fun. Your photo brings back the memories-looks very much like that booth did. A decade before my uncle was a projectionist in the same booth running DEEP THROAT for a year straight!
Dan: Here's your booth, ca. June 2005:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

The Magnarcs were replaced with Strong X-16s and the system converted to 6000' reels in January 1988. I worked the booth here (the theatre was called the Palace by then) for about three weeks training new booth staff before leaving to join the Air Force later that month.

The last time that booth ran 35mm was in 1990.

-Aaron

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-24-2006 03:55 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm presently working on a short documentary film which features lots of footage of arc lamps in operation at a drive-in (hence the photo of me with the camera on the left). I need to shoot some more film sometime this summer, but it should be ready in a few months. At some point, I'll have Brad post a video file of it here, and 16mm and 35mm prints will be available as well.

In the meantime, if you want to see the raw footage and have access to something that will play a Beta SP tape (or know someone who works at a TV station and can dub it to some other format), I have a rough video transfer of the 16mm workprint that I could loan to you.

Dan Zastrow
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 03:55 PM      Profile for Dan Zastrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Zastrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron-
Fantastic photos-Thanks!

I also helped out once in a while during its very short time as the Palace Theater.

I see the theater seat was still by the window-the best view of downtown Petaluma. The smell BBQ oysters would waft up into the booth from McNears and drive me nuts!

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-24-2006 05:52 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Zastrow
I also helped out once in a while during its very short time as the Palace Theater.
Then we must have crossed paths several times. I was the booth-meister at the Phoenix 1983-88.

I am currently the booth manager at the Boulevard.

-Aaron

Dan Zastrow
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 06:12 PM      Profile for Dan Zastrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Zastrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw my first walk-in film at the Phoenix back when it was The ShowCase Theater about a million years ago (was kind of partial to drive-ins up to that point).
Our paths have crossed several times.
Would love to see the Boulevard booth-you should come down and tour The Rafael.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 10:30 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken Layton, a tech out of Olympia, Washington who posts on these forums, can give you the name of a theatre in Washington that's still running carbons.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-24-2006 10:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte - wow, that pic looks almost exactly like my booth did in its carbon-arc days. The reels are even the same!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-24-2006 10:44 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Me a couple of years ago at my 1st projectionist job at a changeover booth with carbon arcs... [Wink]

I like xenon and platters better...I'm lazy! HA!

-

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-24-2006 11:12 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least Phil had a good looking Simplex XL / "4-Star" booth there - with matching Magnarc lamphouses..

Aaron - the STRONG X-16's, weren't those the vertical bulb units that looks like a Magnarc lamphouse? Haven't seen a pair like that for quite some time..

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 01:23 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my memories , BTH arc , good light , bad feed motors and bloody hot in summer! and I don't miss cleaning out that white ash!

-

Chris Unwin
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 03:36 AM      Profile for Chris Unwin   Email Chris Unwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bob
I know of Ken Layton. Don't think we have ever met. I will email him about the theater in Washington with carbons.
Many thanks to you & everyone who posted. Loved the Pictures!
-Chris

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: