Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Accumulator in the middle position, Why?

Author Topic: Accumulator in the middle position, Why?
Iben Jimenez
Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2006 02:53 PM      Profile for Iben Jimenez   Email Iben Jimenez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi People:
When an interlock is running, you must set the accumulator in the middle of it's travel, but, Why this is so?. Also, I have heard a lot of times a "beep" sound at the end of a trailer, Is this because of the splice?
Thanks
I Jimenez

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-21-2006 03:10 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The accumulator is just a rule of thumb as far as being in the middle. This allows for an unexpected problems associated with the start up that could cause the level to drop or rise unexpectedly.

The beep on trailers is because not enough black was removed to remove the tone in the soundtrack.

Iben Jimenez
Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2006 03:42 PM      Profile for Iben Jimenez   Email Iben Jimenez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote:
The beep on trailers is because not enough black was removed to remove the tone in the soundtrack.

Thanks for your reply Darryl. But I don't undertand yet that of the soundtrack.

Thanks

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-21-2006 05:41 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes at the end of trailers you can run accross a tone or beep in the soundtrack that is basically junk. You want to cut that out to avoid the beep or whatever sound it makes to be heard.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-21-2006 06:14 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the beep also called pip is the sync point and is the match between picture and sound negatives

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2006 08:43 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard a beep between the attached trailer on Oliver Twist and the beginning of the feature. Bad Sony! [Big Grin]

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2006 12:59 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
also be careful of beeps in the digital tracks. if you see the beep in the analog track, you have to cut off an additional 6 frames to avoid the srd beep. i don't know offhand what the offset is for the sdds track; maybe that complicates it further?

Kris Dirix
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 05:28 AM      Profile for Kris Dirix   Email Kris Dirix   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SRD-bleep is visible as a group of two black and two white blocks.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2006 03:37 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
kris, do you have a picture of that you could post? i'm not entirely sure what you mean.

i wouldn't think an all-black or all-white block would be valid srd data. or is it only necessary for it to be seen by human eyes for synching up, and the "bleep" term has stuck?

i do know that an auditory bleep can be encoded in srd; i've had to remove one from the tail of a trailer even after the sr bleep was cut.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: