Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong Platters

Author Topic: Strong Platters
Chris Unwin
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2006 05:37 PM      Profile for Chris Unwin   Email Chris Unwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any strong platter that you cannot build up on while showing a feature!? I work in a single screen and the manager would rather have me build up next feature during show time instead of after. I thought it best to always build up while NOT showing.

|  IP: Logged

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2006 06:03 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a problem building while you are running as long as you don't run at warp speed. Go too fast, and the "fans" under the platter will raise hell with your feed platter, if you are building above the print that is paying out. [Eek!]

Chris Unwin
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2006 06:11 PM      Profile for Chris Unwin   Email Chris Unwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John! I thought it would be ok. Its just that every other theatre that I have worked in did not like this practice and we only built up before or after showtime.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-19-2006 04:23 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the manager is actually doing you a favor - having you stay longer on payroll to do filmwork before or after the shows...

I do makeups and breakdowns with the lower platter on rewind - especially the breakdown so I don't have the "wind tunnel" blowing my film around on the lower platter if the lower platter is on payout (using A-3 Alpha platters)...

monte

[ 05-20-2006, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: Monte L Fullmer ]

Chris Unwin
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2006 05:22 AM      Profile for Chris Unwin   Email Chris Unwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Monte,

THIS manager is getting me to build-up during showing. Others have always allowed buildup before or after regular run times.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2006 08:53 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got 2 Strong AP3's, and I always try to either build or break prints while the other feature is running from the other decks.

On those nights, I usually payout from top deck, break or build from the center deck, and wind onto the bottom.

Chris Unwin
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2006 05:03 AM      Profile for Chris Unwin   Email Chris Unwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everybody for the Info!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-30-2006 07:45 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Unwin
Thanks John! I thought it would be ok. Its just that every other theatre that I have worked in did not like this practice and we only built up before or after showtime.

Beware of the noise factor you may generate while building up. Some booths are soundproffed better than others and you need to know how well yours is before generating any extra noise! This may make for "Film Done Wrong" while those attempting to watch the movie in the auditorium also have to sit through alot of background noise from the platter in make up mode and you banging reels around and talking to other operators in the booth. I've experienced this myself on at least several occasions!

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-30-2006 09:06 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..yea...like Mann Theatres "plywood palaces" that were built in the early to mid 80's that used plywood for their floor base instead of concrete.

Operators had to either wear sneakers, or go around in slippers. Hard soled shoes could be heard throughout the better half of the lobby - let alone doing filmwork...on Cinemeccanica 4x tower units.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: