Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Speaker cable size recommended? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Speaker cable size recommended?
Amanda Mundin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2006 01:36 PM      Profile for Amanda Mundin   Email Amanda Mundin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read on here about using stranded wire in twisted pairs but what size wire would anyone recommend using?
Our auditorium is 40feet long

|  IP: Logged

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2006 02:12 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long will the actual speaker run be and how much power for the speakers?

Amanda Mundin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2006 02:41 PM      Profile for Amanda Mundin   Email Amanda Mundin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maximum cable length should be 65feet I imagine, maybe less,
I think stage speakers will need no more than 250watts of continuous power, and subwoofer will need no more than 1200watts continuous, although that may be split into two wires to power two separate 18" subs depending on final sub choice

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2006 04:01 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put 4mm2 (sqare milimeters) for L, C, R speakers, 2,5mm2 for surrounds and 6mm2 for Subwoofer.

You can use twisted pairs for L, C, R, Sw and two-wire cable for surrounds.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2006 04:37 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds about right!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-18-2006 08:27 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does any one have a translation chart between the metric wire size and AWG sizes

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-18-2006 08:45 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
Does any one have a translation chart between the metric wire size and AWG sizes

Some conversion charts:

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

quote:
The following chart is a guideline of ampacity or copper wire current carrying capacity following the Handbook of Electronic Tables and Formulas for American Wire Gauge. As you might guess, the rated ampacities are just a rule of thumb. In careful engineering the insulation temperature limit, thickness, thermal conductivity, and air convection and temperature should all be taken into account.
http://www.mogami.com/e/cad/wire-gauge.html

quote:
Ordinary, next two gauging systems are used with electrical wire and cables.
AWG (American Wire Gauge)
It is known as BS (Brown & Sharp wire gauge). The AWG guging system is defined as geometrical progression because of drawing machanism nature. The 36 AWG is defined as 5 mil diameter, and the 4/0 AWG is defined as 460 mil diameter. (See ASTM B 258)
mil
represents diameter of solid wire in mil (1/1000 inch) or cross-sectional area in circular mil.
milimeter wire gaging system
represents diameter of solid wire in mm or cross-sectional area of stranded wire in mm^2 (square mm).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

quote:
The table below shows various data including both the resistance of the various wire gauges and the allowable current (ampacity) based on plastic insulation. The diameter information in the table applies to solid wires.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2006 05:46 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I am correctly working the converter at: http://www.mogami.com/e/cad/wire-gauge.html

2.5mm2 = 14 AWG
4mm2 = 12 AWG
6mm2 = 10 AWG

This should help we Americans that are not used to dealing with mm2. "Square mm? The wire looks round to me."

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-19-2006 06:18 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know Amanda, looking at all your posts here on Film-Tech...it's like you are free-loading and taking unfair advantage of all the FT expert's knowledge.

Perhaps YOU should HIRE a REAL theatre designer and PAY them for their knowledge rather than pestering all with your never-ending theatre design questions.

While myself and many others here are willing to help out people, there is a limit when it becomes abusive.

Pony up the money for a real designer!

Just my 2-cents...

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2006 01:48 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
While myself and many others here are willing to help out people, there is a limit when it becomes abusive.

I think isn't abusive at all! And everybody can ask all kind of questions. So if somebody will have answer he will put it in post replay, and opposite!

It's good to put questions like this, specially because is some small cinema, and is good for knowledge to learn something new to people which is get around cinema for first time.

P.S. Maybee Amanda gonna invite us to premiere opening of cinema! [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-20-2006 04:25 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The occasional question to help someone out of trouble or to better understand a concept is fine. We chat here, we foster relationships, we give and take.

If someone is constantly taking, however, or otherwise using the forum as a way to circumvent hiring an engineer, I agree this would be abusing the privilege.

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2006 10:01 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be sad if anyone felt inhibited asking questions simply because of some members' assumptions that the service industry may be undermined. The acquisition of knowledge is a legitimate function of any forum. The reason for that acquisition is the rightful business of the questioner.

Keep asking the questions Amanda for in so doing, you raise issues that are of interest and value to many. Any alternative, and it is the forum that risks being undermined.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-20-2006 12:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two sides to the aurgument
no one has ever sujested stopping asking question or advice being given but also if it appears that someone is collecting free information to circumvent the hireing of a qualified engineer to design a system then they have a right to be concerned
often there are questions that need awnsering to qualify the original asked question which is part of the service that a design engineer does

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-20-2006 12:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon summed that one up pretty nice.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2006 12:58 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If someone want to put a theater together by themselves, what is the problem? If people don't like all the questions, they dont have to answer. I thought this site was to help people. I didnt know there was a limit to the information given.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: