Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Motiograph SH-7500 Questions - Jaxlights and Wiring

Author Topic: Motiograph SH-7500 Questions - Jaxlights and Wiring
Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2006 09:45 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone,

Hope someone out here can help me. Though I know jaxlights are not a great solution by anymeans, I have came across a couple sets at the "right" price. I was wondering if anyone has a picture of one of these in an SH-7500. It seems like the clearnance is pretty tight...can anyone confirm this? To get it to line up with the buld I had to adjust the bayonet base on the bottom of the jaxlight..no big deal, but again is this something others have had to do?

Lastly, I was wondering if someone can show me how the routed the solar cell wires in the soundhead. I'm afraid of them getting caught in the film.

Thanks for everything,
Cody

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-18-2006 07:00 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the "right price" involve someone paying you to take them? [Razz] [Wink]

I wouldn't wish Jaxlights on my worst enemy.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-18-2006 11:35 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not use an LED conversion? Kelmar (at least) makes one for the Motio. The cable goes back toward the gear side of the frame, above the thumbwheel, toward the lamphouse, terminating just under the old exciter location. The wire does not penetrate the wall where the thumbwheel is. Louis

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2006 12:41 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your posts. I acquired the jaxlight kits(2.5, one bad exciter) with a purchase of some guidance parts. As this is only for my personal use I believe the jaxlights will do fine...for now(eventually I will go with a led conversion).

Still looking for the a picture of this if anyone has a similar setup.

Thanks,
Cody

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-18-2006 11:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a couple of small mom and pop Drive Ins running Jokes Lights in SH-7500's. The top of the Jokes Light heat sink HAS TO BE MACHINED SHORTER in order for it to fit under the slope of the top of the main casting.......

A certain Film-Techer put these mesly critters in all over Montana and Idaho and I'm in the process of slowly weeding them out.... Last week I got to run over a couple of them with the van so they would never be put back into service again [thumbsup] . The theatres owner applauded!

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-19-2006 01:16 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark! HAAAAAhahahaaa! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2006 07:49 AM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for your replies. Time to get out the dremel [thumbsup]

Thank you again,
Cody

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2006 08:01 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CE offers a unit for the SH7500

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-22-2006 05:37 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you get the $$ to do it, the CE conversion that Greg mentioned works very well, and doesn't require that you modify the soundhead to get it mounted... other than to take out the exciter lamp bracket... and that's just a matter of 2 or 3 screws.

If you do install the Jaxlight, be careful about taking flash pictures of your booth while it's running. It could lead to catastrophic failure of your speakers... or your audience's eardrums!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-22-2006 07:29 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Ondracek
If you get the $$ to do it, the CE conversion that Greg mentioned works very well, and doesn't require that you modify the soundhead to get it mounted... other than to take out the exciter lamp bracket... and that's just a matter of 2 or 3 screws.

Tyhe Kelmar also fits right in place as well. I've installed quite a few reverse scanners into SH-7500's and unfortunately these things just don't pop right in as Jack says. Its actually a pain in the ass sort of job to accomplish and getting the exciter mount back in place is the real treat during the job [Eek!] [Roll Eyes] [Mad] [evil]

Mark

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-22-2006 11:03 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I don't quite follow you, Mark. The exciter bracket is a big brass arrangement in that soundhead. How do you put it back into the same space the pickup now occupies?... or am I just reading your comment wrong?

You are right about it being a pain to remove though. The screw in the back of the soundhead requires that it be removed from the base to get to it... unless there's some cool tool that can get back there.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: