Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How low is too low for DTS LED Voltage (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: How low is too low for DTS LED Voltage
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2006 05:00 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would you replace them when they get below 1V DC?

They are already maxed out on the the adjustment pot.

|  IP: Logged

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2006 05:28 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From my experience I have noted DTS readers to start failing around 2.5VDC. I always send them in for calibration when they reach 2.5VDC or below. (With the pot maxed out.)

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2006 06:54 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had them work at lower voltage to. I guess I'd say that the voltage is too low when the sound starts dropping out.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-15-2006 07:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once upon a time I spoke with a DTS tech on this...they claimed that at around 2-Volts should really be the lower limit. I know I've had some that were below 2-Volts that played fine (I now routinely check them and have stumbled across some that were playing that low).

One thing I'm amazed at is how fast they no longer seem to be able to reach 4-volts...some less than 2-years old.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2006 07:52 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen these readers work at .5 volts with no problems, we make it a point to check all readers durning PM's, if we find a reader down to 1-1.5vdc, we replace it...it appears the voltage drops about 1 volt a year...I seen brand new readers down to 3v max out....I would say to have it replace at 1-1.5vdc...good or bad, replace it....

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2006 08:10 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
Does this mean you have to replace the whole reader or just the LED?
THX Ian

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2006 07:56 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do an repair/exchange, we change the whole reader, I don't think you can replace just the LED, you have to replace the reader...I could be wrong on the price but I think it is $350.00 per reader....

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-16-2006 06:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Don Sneed
I have seen these readers work at .5 volts with no problems
I've never seen a player function properly with a half volt of TC comming in. About 1.8 to 2 volts is the minimum for stable operation. ALSO! XD-10's are ALOT more voltage fussy than both the 6D and older 6 models so be careful!!! Best to check it and reset if necessary.

quote: Don Sneed
We do an repair/exchange, we change the whole reader, I don't think you can replace just the LED, you have to replace the reader...I could be wrong on the price but I think it is $350.00 per reader....

Actually as long as the drum is servicable... the width of it is not worn excessively we just replace the LED in our shop for a 100.00 flat fee. It is a special LED. Gord Mcleod in Toronto also installs LED's in them.

Also be vary aware of worn drums. Its easy to check the drum with either a piece of frech estar film or a strip of steel film. Any wear of the width of the drum that is enough to allow the DTS track to weave off center will also affect its reading reliability. Lately I've seen about half and half that we have to return for worn drums and half that just need LED's. Proper alignment of the reader is an absolute must for longevity of the reader. The pisser is that the DTS T.C. bracket was not properly designed to allow the correct positioning UNLESS you remove the large flat washers to allow enough room to locate the bracket.

Mark

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2006 10:29 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How low can you go? Well it depends… There are variables that exist which can determine Timecode readability such as reader head alignment, LED voltage and even the print itself. It’s true some DTS players are better then others for continuing to read at lower voltages, particular the DTS-6 and 6D but to prevent possible playback issues DTS recommends adjusting the LED voltage to 4V. If this can not be achieved, don’t panic as an average you should not let it fall below 2V, this is a recommendation for all units, although as stated earlier some may play quite reliable below that voltage.
Lately there has been some concerns over the early fall off of LED voltage. DTS is not ignoring this issue and has been conducting multiple tests with different LED’s and manufacturers for maximum performance. These tests do take time and unfortunately it is not as simple as placing a brighter LED in the head, this in itself can cause reading problems by over saturating the track. Many factors are involved with selecting a correct LED for use in a DTS Timecode Head. Recently DTS has qualified a new LED that is performing quite well, along with this; a new board design has just been completed that is also *RoHS compliant. This new improved head will automatically adjust to 4V on power up, if this voltage cannot be achieved, the green LED will blink on the Timecode head to notify you that service is needed. The blinking will only occur when film is not running, once playing the green LED will re-act the same as the older model heads.

*The RoHS Directive stands for "the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment". This Directive will ban the placing on the EU market of new electrical and electronic equipment containing more than agreed levels of lead, cadmium, mercury, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyl (PBB) and polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE) flame retardants from 1 July 2006.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-17-2006 09:00 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RoHS compliance is affecting many manufacturers with either retiring older models, redesigning existing products or coming out with new models. One manufacturer I deal with is seeing up to 400% increases in basic replacement components on future production runs. Besides the electronic components it effects the chassis, enclosures that are part of the product.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2006 10:07 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No offense to our European friends, but no one is keeling over from LED's. This is a classic example of goverment caused inflation.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2006 10:25 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I havn't cracked one of these open, but if possible, it would be nice if the LED could be packaged in a user replaceable assembly. Moreover, an alignment mechanism as well as documentation for alignment.

I'm glad I don't have to send my 5 star sound head in everytime I have to replace an LED.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-17-2006 02:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
matt said "No offense to our European friends, but no one is keeling over from LED's. This is a classic example of goverment caused inflation."

actually it has nothing to do with the led but the circuit board
all electronic pcbs must be lead free to meet EU rules now and since this in some cases has required a redesign for thruhole plating it often means a redesign of the product occurs at the same time

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2006 06:43 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason behind RoHS has to do with the amount of electronics that is thrown away today. There is lead in the solder, and other parts. That lead gets into the ground water, that becomes drinking water. It has been proven that lead causes brain damage in children. If we wish to continue to be able to live on this little planet, we must start taking responsibly for our actions, and stop being stupid. Peoples lives are, and must be, more important than silly corporate profits.

One question about the auto adjust feature on the new reader, what happens if the unit is turned on with film in the reader? Would the adjustment fail?

BTW, I once tried slowly adjusting the gain pot in the DTS reader from one end to the other, and at no time did the DTS unit stop reading code (the green TC light did not go out).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-17-2006 06:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
What we have done is to select a brighter LED and run it at lower current to achieve the same brightness as the LED you are using. This allows much longer LED life... about 150,000 hours MTF according to tests the LED manufacturer has done and provided me with. So far so good.

The auto adjust is long overdue as is a decent reader with a drum not made from gum soft alumnium!

Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: