Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » JBL 4508 Cabinet w/JBL 2225 15" Subs Okay For L/C/R Front Channels?

Author Topic: JBL 4508 Cabinet w/JBL 2225 15" Subs Okay For L/C/R Front Channels?
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2006 04:44 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will these JBL speakers work for the front screen channels? What horns and drivers are supposed to go with this package? Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-13-2006 08:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the 4508 with 2225 drivers are good LF speakers for stage speakers (not subwoofers). The combination is officially known as a 4648.

As for HF sections, you have your choices. To make a 4675 speaker, add a 4675C-HFA horn/driver/bracket combination. To make a 4670 speaker, add a 4670D-HF to the cabinet.

If you are looking to stick with used...you are looking for 2360 horns (with throats) (4675 horn). For the smaller horn, it is the 2380. With those horns, you can use just about any JBL large format compression driver from the 2440 series, including the 2440...more common models are the 2445 and 2446.

You can also use an Altec HF section featuring the 288 or 299 driver (or now the 399) with a suitable horn (I'm not a fan of the Multi-cell) like an Altec Mantaray series (MR94, MRII594A). Using a suitable throat adapter, you can use Altec drivers with JBL horns.

However, your choices are about endless...if you like EV, there are suitable horns from them too as would be the case for most speaker companies that make large format separate horn systems.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2007 01:12 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
If you are looking to stick with used...you are looking for 2360 horns (with throats) (4675 horn). For the smaller horn, it is the 2380. With those horns, you can use just about any JBL large format compression driver from the 2440 series, including the 2440...more common models are the 2445 and 2446.
What are the major differences in these two? I know that the 2360 horns are quite large but are made for small theaters. How big are the 2380 horns and what are you giving up if you use them?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-19-2007 01:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With horns size matters...more so with lower frequencies. In the case of the 2360 vs the 2380 you loose much pattern control as you approach the crossover point (officially 500Hz). The 2380 is essentially omnidirectional at 500Hz. Many crossover the 2380 at 800Hz as a result (since it is also not too efficient at 500Hz either). I would at least step up to 630Hz for the 2380.

To my ears though, the 2360 is substantially superior in all respects so it is the horn I recommend for that type of system.

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-19-2007 03:09 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve has it exactly right. The 2380 has a "honky" nasal quality to it that, to me is quite offensive. The 2360 is quite the better horn, especially if you have the room. Louis

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 04-20-2008 07:44 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 426 days since the last post.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2008 07:44 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So after a couple of years I have accumulated some JBL speakers and horns. After a few friends saw them (that are also projectionists) they thought I was crazy for putting such large horns and speakers in my basement. I came back to this thread and realized that I never mentioned they were for a relatively small screening room. I have been told it will be hard to get them tuned to such a small room. Just wanted your opinions. I have the following so far:

2ea JBL 4508 Cabinets with 2ea JBL 2225H 15" Drivers in each Cabinet
3ea JBL 2360A Horns with Throats
1ea JBL 4645C Cabinet with 18" sub
3ea JBL 3160 Crossovers
3ea JBL 2506B Horn Mounts
6ea JBL 8330A Surrounds

I still need to get 3ea JBL 2445J drivers and one more JBL 4508 though. I am trying to make three complete 4675A systems for the three front channels. Either way I would like to keep the drivers and the sub if the horns are too large and just get different horns. My throw will be about 25'. Any comments? Am I crazy or will these work? I don't know anything about this stuff. Thanks for your help.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-20-2008 08:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hard to tune for such a small room? Ummmm, no. The final sound is what matters, and that is why I upgraded in 2001 to the 4675s for my screening room.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2008 08:21 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Joshua that's a lot of speaker for a 25' throw IMO. That's about the same throw I have in my screening room and my 3678's are plenty large enough. They also take up a lot less room.
Send me an email if you have any interest in the 3678's. I know someone who has 3.

Don

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-21-2008 12:02 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you have looks good. Since 1984, I even have MONO systems using the 4675 in 50 seat rooms. While it is possible to have too small of a speaker, it is impossible to have too large of a speaker. Also important is what it sounds like. The 4675 is very good. Required in large rooms. In smaller rooms there are variants that have some reason to exist, such as lower distortion, wider coverage, etc. Louis

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-21-2008 12:50 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMO, if you have room for the horns, go for it. Pattern control on the longer horns is always better than on the shorter ones.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2008 02:03 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help guys. I don't plan to be in this house forever. By keeping these speakers I won't have to purchase bigger ones when I get a bigger screening room. [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: