Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Does ester count as acetate? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Does ester count as acetate?
Mark Haskett
Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 09:42 PM      Profile for Mark Haskett   Email Mark Haskett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are cellulose ester and cellulose acetate the same thing?
If not, how can I prove that all modern movies are now printed on polyester.
I need some direction!

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-10-2006 10:00 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No they are not the same. I am not going to get into the chemical make-up of the two. I will leave that to John P. but I will say that Acetate Tears a hell of a lot easier than Polyester does. If you have some Acetate film laying around get a piece of it and a piece of polyester and ask someone to tear it. Start with the acetate then give em the Polyester and watch their reaction.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-10-2006 10:06 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cellulose triacetate is an ester:

http://www.kcpc.usyd.edu.au/discovery/glossary-all.html

quote:
Ester
Take a carboxylic acid and an alcohol and remove water, so that you are left with two bits linked by a C(O)-O- group - this is an ester. Many of the most important industrial polymers are esters. For example, ethyl acetate.

Kodak's trade name for polyethylene terephthalate (polyester base) is ESTAR base. Not the same thing.

Other trade names for polyester film are MYLAR, GEVAR, CRONAR.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/h1/base.shtml

quote:
Base

* Manufacture of Film Base
* Antihalation Backing
* Edge Numbers
* EASTMAN KEYKODE Numbers
* Dimensional Change Characteristics
* Temporary Dimensional Change
* Permanent Size Change
* Other Physical Characteristics
* References

Mark Haskett
Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 11:43 PM      Profile for Mark Haskett   Email Mark Haskett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so according to the link ( http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/h1/baseP.shtml#edge ) that John provided (thanks John):
Two general types of film base are currently used by Kodak--cellulose triacetate (acetate) and a synthetic polyester polymer known as ESTAR
also:
ESTAR Base, a polyethylene trephthalate polyester, is used for some KODAK Motion Picture Films (mostly intermediate and print films).

Is the print I am running of MI3 ester? yes, of course.
Is there some id mark on the print that proves it is ester? I looked at the links John provided and the print markings pertain to many things but not that...

How can I show that we are running ester prints?

My wife, a former chemical engineer for Shell (now a lawyer), and the smartest person I know, just told me that it sounds like ester is not even a cellulose.
John?
(sorry for my tone, I have city officials to placate)

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-11-2006 12:45 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Modern film stocks (since 1995-ish) are polyester. NOT celulose ANYTHING. Period.

One question though:

Why does it matter whether the prints are cellulose based or not?

As far as city officials go, both acetate and polyester film stocks are 'safety film' for the purpose of placating a fire marshal.

-Aaron

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-11-2006 01:22 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prob due to the cantankerous environmental idiots who wanted a substance that is recyclable as with polyester.....

[ 05-11-2006, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: Monte L Fullmer ]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-11-2006 09:05 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The color print films from all three major manufacturers now use polyester base. Agfa-Gevaert was the first manufacturer to promote the use of polyester base film for 35mm release prints in the early 1990's. During the 1990's, Kodak spent over $200 Million (USD) to develop the technology and base making machines needed to address the issues of base-side dusting and static cling that were more problematic with earlier polyester release prints.

The ESTAR base used for Kodak VISION Color Print Films has proprietary polymeric process-surviving scratch-resistant conductive anti-static layers coated on the back side.

Most motion-picture camera films still use cellulose triacetate base. Kodak B&W print film is still available on cellulose triacetate base(5302), but most B&W release prints use ESTAR base (2302).

Again, cellulose triacetate is a chemical "ester", but it is not known as "ESTAR", the trade name for Kodak's polyester base.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-11-2006 09:13 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, and I always thought mylar and polyester were two different materials. Good that I swing by here regularly. There is something new to be learnt every day.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-11-2006 10:36 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I don't know when polyester film was first introduced, but I do know that Fuji Single-8 film, and some makes of Super-8, but not Kodak, were on polyester base in the mid-late '60s. Why did it take so long to become accepted for use in 35mm release prints?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-11-2006 12:30 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
John, I don't know when polyester film was first introduced, but I do know that Fuji Single-8 film, and some makes of Super-8, but not Kodak, were on polyester base in the mid-late '60s. Why did it take so long to become accepted for use in 35mm release prints?

Kodak has been making polyester base for almost fifty years (originally licensed from DuPont Chemicals), mainly for special venue films, smaller print formats, graphic arts and x-ray films.
But for 35mm release prints, Kodak wisely invested in improving some of the characteristics like projector dusting and static, that took over $200 Million in R&D and capital improvements about ten years ago. We also encouraged the development of proper tension-sensing failsafes by equipment manufacturers to properly deal with polyester's much higher tensile strength.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2006 12:39 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The simplest way to determine if a print is on Estar is to hold the reel up to the light. If you can see the outline of your hand through the side of the roll, it is Estar. If it does not pass light, it is acetate.
Also, as mentioned above, it is almost impossible to tear Estar.
Cut it with scissors or a knife, yes, but tear by hand without it being started some other way, doubtful.

RPM

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-11-2006 05:03 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly the most definitive methods, Richard. It's like saying, "I know it when I see it." Fine if you already know, but not-so-fine if you don't.

For modern filmstock from Kodak or Fuji, look for the magenta edgecode in the SDDS area outside the perforations. If it's Kodak, then the first number will in all likelyhood be "2383" or "2393", indicating Kodak Color Vision ESTAR-base, or Kodak Color Vision Premiere ESTAR-base, respectively. (In fact, anything starting with "23" is a 35mm ESTAR-base. "53" is 35mm acetate.)

--jhawk

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-11-2006 06:26 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The use of polyester Mylar base audio recording tape predates film by many years -- we have been holding reels of tape up to the light to determine if it is poly or acetate since the early 80s. But here's a question, we have thousands of upon thousands of reels of recorded audio much of which is on acetate stock. So how come triacetate film is so susceptible to acidosis (VS) whereas not a single 10in reel of any of our acetate audio tapes, at least to my knowledge, has ever gone vinegar? I would imagine they are a different variation of acetate, no? I mean, physically they are very different animals.

Mark Haskett
Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2006 09:37 PM      Profile for Mark Haskett   Email Mark Haskett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, look at the edge for the number "2383" or "2393" (thanks John H.). Those numbers are the id numbers pertaining to the kind of film used in the printing process.
Now, where can I find an industry chart (maybe somewhere in the EK website) that confirms the meaning of the edge numbers?
Thanks

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-11-2006 09:45 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
But here's a question, we have thousands of upon thousands of reels of recorded audio much of which is on acetate stock. So how come triacetate film is so susceptible to acidosis (VS) whereas not a single 10in reel of any of our acetate audio tapes, at least to my knowledge, has ever gone vinegar? I would imagine they are a different variation of acetate, no? I mean, physically they are very different animals.
The most likely reason is that audio tape is usually stored in cardboard boxes, or other containers that "breathe", so any acid vapors are not trapped. It's also easier for acid vapors to escape from a 1/4 inch thick tape roll than a roll of 35mm film. Film has often been stored in metal cans or metal film cases, with little chance for acid vapors to escape, so the trapped acid accelerates the reaction. Kodak developed Molecular Sieves to adsorb moisture and acids in sealed container storage, greatly slowing the "vinegar syndrome" reaction. When it comes to film storage, "cool, dry, and vented" are the by-words.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: