Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Extra Spare Reels

Author Topic: Extra Spare Reels
Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 05:01 PM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a search on this topic, but could not seem to find anything. My apologies if its a re-post.

I was wondering if any one new where to possibly get spare empty extra reels? One of the major issues at the 18 screen plex I have recently stated at after working at a couple of other theaters is a vast majority of our cans end up empty because we are forced to rotate reels from prints that come in, to prints that go out. I have spoken with the other projectionists at my theater, and unfortunately no one seems to have a clear answer why this has happened. I'd say more then half of our cans end up empty. Any way, this causes problems because I like to keep the headers and tails organized for brake down, mainly so they don't get banged up and provides for a quicker disassembly. It is also Century's policy to keep reels organized and in can, but no one seems to care about that. Not to mention other projectionists' seem to not care about the orange Technicolor reels (fantastic!) and ship non-Technicolor prints out with them. [Eek!]

I've spoken with Technicolor on this matter, and they were able to send me a couple of reels (6) however we still new more. Unfortunately ETS told me I can only get replacement reels if I return the broken ones. My question is does any one know where to possibly get quite a few empty reels (perhaps reasonably priced) to keep this area more organized?

Thanks for your time!

[ 05-11-2006, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Alex Grueneberg ]

|  IP: Logged

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 08:26 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alex Grueneberg
My question is does any one know where to possibly get quite a few empty reels (perhaps reasonably priced) to keep this area more organized?

The first place I would look would be in your projectionists' living-rooms. Sounds like someone(s) is taking souvenirs.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-11-2006 09:18 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recall that one of the vendors for the current shipping reels is a Film-Tech participant.

Plastic shipping reels can also be purchased from vendors like Plastic Reel Corporation, Motion Picture Enterprises, and Tayloreel.

Here is a link to a list of resources:

http://www.hollywoodvaults.com/resources/

quote:

Dancan International , Archival film supples, cans, acidity testers, etc. (Morten Jacobsen). Box 140-3520 Farum, Copenhagen (Denmark) 45-40-504180

FPC/Eastman Kodak , Molecular sieves to absorb acetic acid and combat Vinegar Syndrome and other archival supplies. Hollywood CA 800/814-1333

National Film Preservation Products , Provent film preservation containers, ventillated and filtered. North Chili NY 585-594-1026

Neumade Corp., Audio visual storage products. Newtown CT 203/270-1100

Plastic Reel Corp. of America (PRC), Archival film cans. North Hollywood CA 800/929-1637, Chicago IL 800/929-0356

STiL Design , Archival polypropylene 35mm and 16mm film cans and cores. Quebec City QC (Canada) 888/414-0449

Tayloreel Corp. , Film cans and reels, etc. Rochester NY 770/503-1612

Tuscan Corporation , Archival film and microfilm storage containers. Lake in the Hills IL 888/457-5811

Urbanski Film , Film supplies, including Film Renew, cleaner and preservatives, molecular sieves, etc. Orland Park IL 708/460-9082

Zeolite Molecular Traps, (article on) for preventive conservation

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-11-2006 09:23 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any dealer can order plastic or metal shipping reels from Goldberg Bros, Denver, the traditional reel manufacturer. Louis

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2006 03:29 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's bad luck there. Honestly, it sounds like someone's stealing them. Even when my old 18-plex was building reel-by-reel & throwing those cans around we never had that much of a problem with reels broken in the can, new prints or hold-overs! If it's a matter of company policy get someone from management involved. You shouldn't have to pay earned-dollars to put up with some klepto.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2006 10:31 AM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wind the film around tuna cans. Be sure to leave some tuna, and tuna grease in the can, someone at the depot may be hungry. [Big Grin] (Yes, that's a joke, please do not try this at your theater).

Since ETS will not give you extra reels, go buy some "hard" reels that do not come apart, and send the films back to them on the hard reels. It will drive them nuts trying to figure out how to get the reels apart.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-12-2006 12:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder what ever happend to all the old steel shipping reels? That'd be fun to send a print back on them sometime. [beer]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-12-2006 01:17 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a bunch of the metal reels a few years ago. They were cheap. I now use them to replace damaged plastic reels that come in. This is a) cheaper than buying new plastic reels and b) hopefully makes a point about shipping prints out on known-bad reels. I sort of doubt that anyone at TES or ETS even notices or cares, though.

Occasionally, older prints will come on on thse reels, too.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-14-2006 05:11 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Jeff Joseph was selling used plastics at a very reasonable price. Check with him to see if he has anymore. He's at Sabucat Productions www.sabucat.com.

But, as Steve and Chad suggest, before I'd go buying a supply of reels, first solve the mystery of where these reels are getting to. If you don't, it will be a never-ending battle. Someplace along the line management is going to have to figure out why they have to buy reels for TES and ETS. When they do, trust me, fur will fly.

What do these guys do chuck reels away? Really weird.

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2006 03:59 AM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank and gang, I'll check into what you all said and see what I can find out and get approval for. Also, in regards to chucking reels. The other projectionist (besides my self the only other guy who actually cares) said that in the passed lots of movies came in on broken reels and for some reason people just threw them out. That seems unlikely because what would you ship them back on? Preview cores?! As well, we are a first run and labs seem at least decent about not shipping out prints on broken reels. The whole ordeal is really obnoxious because even the house managers don't seem to care. But this is Century, and I guess that's what you get for paying peanuts. Plus as I have been continually reminded, we are the worst in Century's litter of theaters. Hopefully I'll get a chance to talk to our district VP. Its really aggravating how little people care though. [Frown] Film deserves so much more respect. Any way, thanks guys!

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2006 12:41 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Explain it to your corporate people in terms they understand & you might be surprised what they'll do for you. But regardless of what they're paid, they oughta realize how important their job is, and the least they can do is to put the broken reels aside, perhaps in a box labeled BAD REELS - SEND BACK, then get replacements.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-16-2006 01:48 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Alex....to have your youth! You are too young to remember, but there was a time when it seemed like broken reels were the ONLY way TES shipped film. In fact, the condition was so bad that Technicolor sent out sample reel designs in an effort to find a reel type that would correct the problem. Try this: do a search on this forum and use the words: TES BROKEN REELS and see what happens. There will be LOTS of threads about just this thing. Read the New Technicolor Survey thread; it pretty much explains the problem in a nutshell.

But although broken shipping reels are no longer as common as they once were, they still do show up, but the theatre shouldn't be footing the cost of replacements. TES is quite aware of the problem and should replace the reels for you with a simply phone call. You might want to buy a small supply of cheap used reels that you can use to swap out when broken reel does show up just so you can ship out film while you wait for TES to send you replacements, but that's only to make life easier for YOU (and to insure that prints don't get damaged); but just on principle I would NEVER simply give away reels to the film depot to cover THEIR sloppiness (ask your General Manager how much the theatre is charged for shipping each print and you will understand why).

On the other hand, it is great that you are concerned about good operating practices and what is happening in your booth. Keep up the good work young man.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: