Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Breaking down onto a shattered reel

Author Topic: Breaking down onto a shattered reel
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 12:03 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a secret to breaking down a film onto a broken reel? I contacted ETS and told them that one of the shipping reels was shattered (one side has completely fallen off, and the core is smashed to bits), but they didn't send me a replacement reel. So, now I'm faced with the reality of rewinding the film back onto a broken reel without damaging the film. Any suggestions or secrets you'd like to share?

BTW, I'm using a manual rewind table. All I have is a couple Neumade Dynamic X-3's and my right arm.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-10-2006 12:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, splice a few dozen feet of an old trailer onto the end of your film.

Rewind the film onto an undamaged reel. (The old trailer footage goes on first.)

Tape the film down securely. Take the reel apart, leaving the film on the core.

Pop-out the core. This might scratch the first few revolutions of the film, that's why we put the old trailer on first.

Pull out the old trailer footage, and enclose the film in a plastic bag. Put a note in the can about the damaged reel. (Don't send the damaged pieces back to the exchange.)

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 12:19 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You take apart a good reel and put the good flanges onto the core with the broken ones. Break it down onto the core. When done, take the good flanges off and put the broken ones back on the best you can.

You did a good thing by calling them, but doubt they will do anything for you.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-10-2006 12:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wind it in another empty reel, but a bit on the loose side, tape down the end and circumference the entire reel with tape, pop out the core and wrap the roll crosswise with tape so it won't collapse on you, then drop it in the can and let ETS have fun with it...

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-10-2006 12:29 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't have another shipping reel, wind the film onto a core and then carefully pack the film roll in an appropriate film can or corregated cardboard sleeve/box so it won't get dished, damaged, or get dirty. Hopefully the packaged roll will fit into the film case for shipping back to the exchange.

On the outside of the case and on the shipping label, clearly write that there is a roll with a missing reel inside, that needs to be wound onto a new shipping reel.

Do NOT wrap the roll with adhesive tape, as it will likely leave a residue. Do NOT "pop" the core and ship without the roll being wound onto a core.

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 12:30 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tips guys! I've dealt with reels where one of the sides had fallen off before, but this was the first time I had a core that looked like someone had hit it with a hammer a couple times. Time to go put this advice into action!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-10-2006 04:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I retract my advice about popping the core out. I had the impression he didn't have any spare cores. So, skip putting an old trailer in there but do leave the core in place to ship it.

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 05:26 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a spare core, so I rewound on one of the unbroken reels, taped it securely, and popped it out along with the core. I made sure it was securely taped, and wrapped it in bubble tape.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: