Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What to do with this print?

Author Topic: What to do with this print?
Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2006 07:56 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our theater played "Mickey" in the summer of 2004. I was floor staff at the time so I don't know the specifics of the distributor that supplied it (not Technicolor or ETS). Anyway, no one ever came to pick it up and our GM called our film buyer in 2004 who in turn called the studio who informed us they did not want the print back.

So basically, we have a 35mm print of Mickey in our box office that we've had for nearly 2 years and nobody wants. What are the legal issues surrounding this? Are we obligated to destroy the print? What are my options?

|  IP: Logged

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2006 08:11 PM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, if the studio doesn't want it then that means you can do whatever you want. I wonder what the market is for 35MM full-length feature films on eWay

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2006 10:48 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would use the print to train your newbies in the booth to build up and tear down. This way you don't have to wait until Thursday nights and have them work on new film.
Also if your technician wants to test run a projector or platter, and asks for some film to run...you've got Mickey.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2006 11:30 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before you do anything to that print personaly contact the distributor and/or studio and find out its real status. You don't want to risk your job-and your company being charged replacement cost for a print would likely cost you yours-on hearsay.

Jason Winn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2006 01:02 AM      Profile for Jason Winn   Email Jason Winn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same thing happened where I worked. We played Mickey in 2004. Nobody ever came to pick it up. We contacted the distributor and they told us we could keep it. So, we just left it lying around in booth for several months. Then, in January 2005, we finally did something useful with this print. If you wanna know what we did with it, go to the Ground Level forums, click on "practical jokes," go to page 6, scroll down until you see my post. You might get some ideas.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2006 02:10 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can always send it to me if you can't find anything else to do with it [Big Grin] I wondered if this actually played anywhere, I checked out the DVD at my current job. So-so movie, but it gets points for mentioning Davis (CA) where I used to live and work.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: