Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The "I'm New Here" thread

Author Topic: The "I'm New Here" thread
Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2006 07:29 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all. Just recently found this website and have spent a great deal of time on it. What a resource! Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself cause I'm hope to participate a lot around here.

I'm the booth manager at the Regal Northpark Stadium 14 in Ridgeland, MS. I was hired for this position about a month ago after working for the company as a manager for about 2 years.

Before I go any further, I know I'm young (24) and that there is generally not a lot of respect around here for the manager-as-projectionist model that REG uses. I know that some of you have been doing this since my parents were kids. But I am here to learn and to absorb so please bear with me and I know I will be asking and saying things that booth managers ought already to know!

Anyway, our theater uses all-Strong equipment. I'm not 100% sure of the models of all the components but I do know that 4 of our consoles are Highlight II's (we used to be a 10-screen complex and added on several years ago) and the soundheads are Simplex 5-Stars. We have DTS on 12 of 14, the other two being our big houses with 3k watt lamps and Dolby Digital.

My job (and my intention) is to clean up our booth (it was a mess) and maintain a spotles presentation. I take a lot of pride in my work and desire to do a good job. That's what is driving my interest here and my desire to learn as much as possible.

Regal Entertainment uses regional booth techs to perform projector maintenance and typically, the managers who operate the booth on a daily basis don't know much about how the projectors work, the parts, or even what to do should something non-standard go wrong. I want to be the exception to this.

I want to make sure our projectors are always clean, oiled, and working smoothly. I want to make sure our maskings are always working and set properly. I want to make sure the automation and cues work, the portglass and lenses are clean, and the prints are free of dirt, dust, and scratches.

I love screening prints I've built because even with all the ads we have to splice in, I am enjoying an experience I have helped create. It's a pretty good feeling.

Anyway, that's a little about me. Thanks for this site and I hope to participate a lot!

|  IP: Logged

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2006 09:07 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yoooooo Hoooooo! Moderator!!!!!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-03-2006 09:26 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Film-Tech and good luck - Sounds like you have a lot of ambition and good intentions! [beer]

Now, go here and reintroduce yourself. [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-03-2006 10:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you completely fail at working in the booth, you can always be a corporate author of training manuals.

quote:
Yoooooo Hoooooo! Moderator!!!!!
THREAD CLOSED

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: