Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Day and Date....for STREET COPIES??!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Day and Date....for STREET COPIES??!!
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-03-2006 12:51 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so we all agree that the ever-shortening window between theatrical release and video (in all its forms) is a major threat to the exhibition industry, not to mention the harm done by the mouthings-off of the imbeciles who advocate D&D for DVD releases which certainly doesn't help. But this is absurd -- yesterday I saw a street vendor on Flatbush Avenue hawking his DVD wares. And there he had a DVD of UNITED 93. I was quite taken-aback -- it opened just 3 days ago. I was really pissed and asked this guy if he knew it was illegal to be selling bootleged copies of current movies. He got indignent and insisted in an accent that I didn't recognize other than it was Asian, that these were NOT bootleged. He kept repeating "not from movie theatre, not from movie theatre." Out of pure curiosity, I bought a copy for a mere $4. And sure enough, this ISN'T a camcorder-under-a-trench-coat copy. This one ranks up there with one of the best DVD tranfers I have seen -- had to be from a digital master because the titling was video rock steady, which tells me it didn't even come from a negative.

So HOW do these people get this stuff? And evidently it is already available in China or Japan or whatever country of origin this guy is related to.

So once again, here is proof-positive that the crap about piracy being the fault of leaks at the exhibition end of the business is just so much flying manure.

But here's my question: What do I do?...do I try to find this guy again and turn him in to the FBI (naw...that's not me) but how about sending them the big Anti-Piracy Division of the FBI the DVD? You would think that with all the super sophistocated anti-piracy technology that they are constantly crowing about, especially in the form of huge round turds in the middle of the picture, shouldn't that be enough for them to trace the origins of this DVD?

Real question of course is, will the MPAA and the FBI be as anxious to bust some studio executive and splash it all over the news the same way they would if they busted the guy in the trench coat with the camcorder, or OMG, a theatre manager? Anyone wanna bet me a good meal at Peter Lugars that nothing would come of it if it's the former?

In a quandry.

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2006 12:59 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back when I was working in NYC, DVD's of current movies were available on street corners almost day and date. I too bought some, and not one was from a camcorder in a theatre. Most had excellent quality, some even were 16:9 anamorphic enhanced with 5.1 sound. On very rare occassions, I would get ones with time codes, but most were very well done.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-03-2006 01:58 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
I bought a copy for a mere $4.
They are selling them for $5 in Manhattan. For a time when they stocked VHS versions those went for $5 and the DVD went for $10 on the streets. It's fun to see NYPD raiding the street sellers in Harold Square and along Broadway towards Chinatown. When PD rolls up they all start running like roaches, the women sellers in Chinatown try to run with their carts of crap. But now the sellers use small suitcases and large shopping bags to carry the crap around. The sellers think there safe till the PD rolls up. There is a code word they use for the PD. And this goes for the Fake bags and sun glasses and CDs they sell around many of the streets here in New York City.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-03-2006 02:36 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this shows that many copies come from someone 'inside' either at the DVD manufacturing plant, the authoring stage or the studios themselves. I've heard it's a status-thing to be the first to create and release a good bootleg copy of a film; sometimes with a few extras that are not/won't be on the legal release.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-03-2006 02:41 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other links on Film Tech indicate that there is no one who is interested enough to come when called; not the FBI or local cops. The bootleggers have won. Louis

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-03-2006 03:23 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, this is exactly why the industry is so concerned about piracy, and why we have CAP codes. The industry has a real problem, and they are trying to do something about it.

We may not agree that CAP codes are a good solution, but this should drive home Why they have happened. They are one of many attempts to try to solve this problem. And it is a really hard problem.

Lest you think otherwise, organized crime is heaviliy involved in the supply chain of these pirated movies. That dramatically complicates solving the problem. [Embarrassed]

As Louis mentions, I emailed the mpaa hotline address in December 2003 asking what to do when you see street vendors selling DVDs of unreleased movies. I never got a response.

Oh, and by the way Frank, it's not "Day and Date." Frequently the pirated versions are available BEFORE theatrical release.

--jhawk

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2006 02:14 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we have CrAP codes to ID bootlegs if anyone in power actually gets their hands on them (which they don't) and to piss off and drive away paying customers.

I've seen some guy selling bootleg movies outside one of the Wal-Marts around here on THREE separate occasions; he stands by the front door saying "I got all the latest movies" and has them in a briefcase. I didn't buy any from him, but I got a crappy Video CD of Star Trek Nemesis at one of the flea markets from a guy with a similar setup- this was camcordered from inside a theater and had some web address at the bottom of the screen.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-04-2006 06:30 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Frank, did "your" copy of the DVD have CAP Codes in the picture? Just curious if they beat that too. If so, then it also shows by the CAP codes are stupid. If they are there, then I'd like to see if this can be traced to the source to prove who caused this theft.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2006 10:18 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,
I would suggest the bootleg disc be turned over to Univeral. All the distributors have very active anti-piracy departments, and they will know how to investigate it.

DM

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-04-2006 11:24 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
So Frank, did "your" copy of the DVD have CAP Codes in the picture? Just curious if they beat that too. If so, then it also shows by the CAP codes are stupid. If they are there, then I'd like to see if this can be traced to the source to prove who caused this theft.

You may not always easily see the anti-piracy coding. As Richard May notes, contact the distributor, or the MPAA piracy hotline:

http://www.mpaa.org/ReportPiracy.asp

http://www.mpaa.org/AboutUsContactUs.asp

quote:
Los Angeles
15503 Ventura Blvd.
Encino, California 91436
(818) 995-6600 (main)
(818) 382-1795 (fax)

New York (Anti-Piracy Office)
One Executive Blvd. Suite 455
Yonkers, NY 10701
(914) 378-0800 (main)
(914) 378-0048 (fax)

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2006 12:21 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, just for fun I think you should notify the MPAA via phone or maybe by registered mail. Not email, seems no one replys to email. Then follow up on it and let us know if anyone really "cares".

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-04-2006 12:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, follow up and give us the exact scoop on what happens.

I suppose the authorities can't really do anything about small-timers like the guy on the corner...they need to bust the places where these are being run off. And the guy on the corner probably doesn't even know where that is.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-04-2006 12:57 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I suppose the authorities can't really do anything about small-timers like the guy on the corner...they need to bust the places where these are being run off. And the guy on the corner probably doesn't even know where that is.

Like any criminal investigation, it's like putting the pieces of a puzzle together. And your information may be a critical missing piece. Unless you are called as a witness, you may never know how the evidence you provided was used to crack a case of piracy.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2006 02:25 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...unless by contacting them you incriminate yourself as having purchased copies of these bootlegs. The RIAA is having a field day going after and fining the 15 year olds downloading music instead of the people higher up in the distribution chain. I'd be surprised if the MPAA is above that crap. Just be careful. After all, they have your name (and picture), not the guy on the street.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-04-2006 02:28 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would encourage me to know if they have EVER nailed anyone. LOuis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: