Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How not to dispose of your film equipment.

Author Topic: How not to dispose of your film equipment.
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2006 05:13 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rent one of those storage garage from a complex down the street from me. I grabbed one of the bigger units for the needed space as most are no wider then the pull up door itself but the larger units are large enough to store a car and keep everything else off to one side.
I get a call at 4:30 in the morn a few weeks ago I had to get down there right away. Some 21 year old kid drunk driving his rich Daddy's Lexus bashed through the security gate drove up on the sidewalk driving along taking out a row of garages. When he got to the end garage ( mine )he turned around and drove full speed head on into it thinking he would bash through the unit and come out the other side onto the street for an escape. He did indeed bash right through the aluminum door and into the unit but the car stalled right in the middle and was totaled by that point. I had just removed my summer car one week before this otherwise my new car first year in storage would have been destroyed so luck was with me there [Wink]
So what does all this have to do with film?
Right in the middle sat my new rebuilt Christie platter with make up table I just purchased ( referred by Brad here at Film Tech ) that just arrived a week previous to this. The platter came on a huge truck in a huge crate weighting in at over 200 something Lbs. Also next to it sat the Christie make up table in a separate crate included in the purchase. He took them both out.

He then called the police and reported some crazy person had drove through the place and side swiped him totaling his car and bashing him into the building. What he did not know was across the parking lot sat one of Kodak's (thank you Kodak [thumbsup] ) trains on a side line waiting for his orders and the engineer watched all this taking place and called police. At 21 years old off to jail he went.

Luckily I also had a Eprad double mutt in storage for years that I dug out and got it working.

Kids [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2006 06:47 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Morale to this incident???

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2006 08:27 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Floyd Justin Newton
Morale to this incident???
I wish there was a moral. Id probably feel better. Just sharing a bad luck story. My new platter was destroyed before I even got to un crate it [Frown]

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2006 09:45 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Insurance?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-04-2006 08:58 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those storage sheds and Kodak railroad tracks are within a short walk of the Kodak Research Lab building I work in at Ridge Road and Dewey Avenue.

Alan: You live less than 1/2 mile from where I work!

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2006 12:33 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,

Are you the same Alan Gouger who runs the AVSFORUM?

/Mitchell

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2006 01:07 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: john pytlak
Alan: You live less than 1/2 mile from where I work!
John I knew you were close by. Ive learned a wealth of good information from your posts. Thank you.

quote: Mitchell
Are you the same Alan Gouger who runs the AVSFORUM?
Hi Mitchell

Yes but this is my next best hang out even though my post count is low [Smile]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-05-2006 07:54 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, talk about "shit happens!"

Please tell us you had insurance.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2006 10:09 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AVSFORUM is the best hi-end consumer video forum on the internet, or at least the best one I have found for getting accurate technical information. I lurk there regularly.

A few years ago, one of the building in the complex where I have my storage garage burned to the ground. My garage was unharmed, but someone lost an antique Mercedes Benz in the fire, which apparently starting in a unit stuffed full of Beanie Babies.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: