Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What interlocking model/brand is best?

Author Topic: What interlocking model/brand is best?
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2006 03:52 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to install some interlocking hardware, but am unfamiliar with the available models and brands. I'm interested in finding out what might be the easiest to use/install, etc...

I will be interlocking some SPA-7 automations with each other.

Additionally, I will be interlocking some CNA-100 automations with each other.

One thing I'm curious about is what to do if one projector runs faster than the other? Does interlocking hardware regulate the projector speed?

Thanks [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2006 04:08 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience with the CNA-100's was that they already contained the necessary interlock terminals & controls.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2006 04:15 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...I am mostly interested in the hardware between the projectors. Someone recommended Speco brand rollers and also a film accumulator if my projectors don't have sync motors.

I'm also trying to figure out the wiring between SPA-7 automations. The Instruction manual I have says the wiring must be present but does not describe the wiring.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-02-2006 10:44 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Eric Robinson
Additionally, I will be interlocking some CNA-100 automations with each other.
The CNA-100s should be interlock ready out of the box. All you have to do is wire the network cables between the automations to set it up.

quote: Eric Robinson
One thing I'm curious about is what to do if one projector runs faster than the other? Does interlocking hardware regulate the projector speed?
No it doesn't.

If your projectors are all the same make and model, and all have the same type of synchronous (1800 RPM) motors (not split-phase (1725 RPM) motors), then all you are going to need is some sort of accumulator rollers between each pair of projectors to catch any slack caused by small speed variations.

-Aaron

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2006 02:21 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to my SPA-7 instruction manual:
quote:
The four wires required for sync operation are SYNC START, SYNC RESUME, SYNC FAILSAFE, and GROUND.
This is all the information provided other than a termination schedule. I would assume that I would connect it as follows:

Projector 1 Projector 2
SYNC START SYNC START
SYNC RESUME SYNC RESUME
SYNC FAILSAFE SYNC FAILSAFE
GROUND GROUND

Seems simple but, just wanted to see if anyone had any inputs on this. Thanks.

[ 05-03-2006, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Eric Robinson ]

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2006 07:04 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you will be interlocking different automations, you may have to fall back on the old, tried and true 2 man interlock.

1....2....3....Go! on the motor switch (If you do this way, you HAVE to be there for the entire legnth of the show, not even a piss break - Murphy's law loves piss breaks)

In regards to hardware (rollers etc). SPECO and Kelmar make quality equipment and can't go too wrong with either one of them. You will need to have some sort of acumulator to compensate for any slight difference in motor speeds, as well as to keep tension on the failsafes of the 1st machine in the interlock.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2006 10:16 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I will be hooking the same models of automations to each other. I have one theatre building which has SPA-7 and a different theatre building which has CNA-100's.

Thanks for the heads up on the accumulator and the tension on the failsafe for the starting projector.

I was thinking of putting in some lever switches at the top and bottom of the accumulator which would trigger the projectors to both STOP in case the accumulator becomes too tight ot too loose. Has anyone else done this?

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2006 12:47 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always used the speco rollers in interlock setups. 9 out of 10, they did the job, but there is a fairly wide gap between keeper & main roller. But if they're all you've got, careful planning & spacing will keep the show running.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-04-2006 12:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STRONG has rollerbars and accumulators as well (never liked the split rollers of the SPECO hardware - film has a nasty habit of sliding in the splits) the STRONG accumulator, I think, is the best due to the "w" format like the platter accumulator.

Yet, Kelmar really is the all around best guidance hardware for both machinery and interlocking - large sealed bearing loaded rollers, and the long swingarm accumulator.

I've tied up 6 SPA-7 units and they work very well. You just tap in on the back board in the console with a fourwire cable in parallel with all 6 machines.

Since you have all STRONG booth, you should have those Bodines or Leeson motors - which are the syncronous type - on your setup.

Putting a micro shutoff in the accmulator is okey, but with the coasting of the machinery when power is dumped, really won't do you any good unless you're right there to catch the far machine that is pulling the whole string upward.

(Oh, do you know how to properly thread interlocks? pull all your film through the rollers and lace the farest machine from the payout platter first,and thread back to the payout platter. Then tighten all of the film travel. This way you'll never run short of film when threading..)

thx - Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: