Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 3-D Expo II....We're back!

Author Topic: 3-D Expo II....We're back!
Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2006 05:51 PM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Date: May 1, 2006

World 3-D Film Expo II at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood opens with TWO restored 3-D Classics, "Those Redheads From Seattle" and "Taza, Son of Cochise"; These are only the first of a series of restored 3-D films being run for the first time in over 50 years!

September 8-17, 2006

Hollywood -- SabuCat Productions will try to top their highly successful "World 3-D Film Expo" of 2003 with "World 3-D Film Expo II", this coming September 8 through September 17, 2006, at the historic Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood. The 10 day festival will not only be highlighting the sold out shows of 2003 (such as "House of Wax", Creature From the Black Lagoon", "Robot Monster", "The Glass Web" and "Dial M For Murder"), but will also be showing EIGHT new "Golden Era" titles, most of which have never been seen in over 50 years in 3-D. In fact, two of the titles have never been shown in 3-D even in the 1950's! The Expo will be having the World 3-D premieres of "Diamond Wizard" (1954) and "Jivaro" (1954). Most of the other six new titles, "Sangaree", "Those Redheads From Seattle", "Taza, Son of Cochise", "Devil's Canyon", "Wings of the Hawk", and "Cease Fire" have not been seen in 3-D since their original release dates.

NONE of the films will be shown in the anaglyphic (red/blue) system; like Expo I,, all of the "Golden Age" features and shorts will be shown in 35mm and in "double interlock" Polaroid System, the original method (and still the very best method) for showing these films.

All told, 35 features and over 20 short subjects will unspool at the Expo. In addition to the various feature films, we will be premiering several 3-D short subjects, including the long lost cartoon, "Popeye, Ace of Space", as well as "Hawaiian Nights", Carnival in April", "Owl and the Pussycat", and many others.

Other highlights of Expo II include:

• Opening night Gala, with food and wine, and showing TWO 3-D premieres: "Those Redheads From Seattle" and "Taza, Son of Cochise".

• The World Polaroid projection premiere of "Night of the Living Dead 3D" (2006), with the director, Jeff Broadstreet, in attendance, as well as the stars of the film!

• World premiere of the fully restored, uncut, "The Stewardesses" (1971) will be shown on Saturday, September 9th, as a midnight screening. The star of the film, Christina Hart, will be making her first personal appearance for the film in 35 years!

• A special "All Animation" show, highlighting a dozen animated films from the Golden era of 3-D (and earlier!).

• Shows highlighting Russian and British 3-D short films, most of which have never been seen in the United States.

• Rarities, Part II: One of the key highlights of Expo I was "Rarities"; we've now discovered some more, amazing and historic stereoscopic imagery!

• "Cease Fire" is the only film (let alone a film in 3-D) ever shot at an actual war: The Korean War, in this case, using actual soldiers as actors. Some of those soldiers (and their families) are planning to attend; it will be the first time the film has been screened in 3-D in over 50 years.

• Paul Morrissey's "Frankenstein" (1974) will be screened in a brand new restored print!

• Even in the case of films that were run at Expo I, we will have a few "new" surprises. For example, "Kiss Me Kate" will be screened using the only surviving original dye-transfer ("3-strip") Technicolor print still in existence. "Charge at Feather River" is a brand new restored print. And for the first time in over 50 years, many of the Golden Age films will screen in WIDE SCREEN, as they were meant to be seen.

Festival organizer Jeff Joseph says, "Although Expo I was wildly successful, we swore we would never do one again... but then, some film elements were discovered, some studios started to be very helpful, one thing led to another...and here we are."

Detailed information about the festival, film schedule, and tickets can be found at:

http://www.3dfilmfest.com

The festival can be reached at:

Phone number: 661 538-9259
Fax number: 661 793-6755

*Special note: Although at the Egyptian Theatre, this festival is not a program of the American Cinematheque.

PRESS MATERIALS & INTERVIEWS:

Broadcast quality video clips will be available. To obtain clips for broadcast please e-mail your mailing address to us and your deadline for receiving materials.

Hi-Resolution, downloadable film stills and original poster images are available on this private "press only" page on the website:

http://www.3dfilmfest.com/press.html

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-03-2006 09:32 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is awesome! I'm not sure if I'll be able to go this time, as I'm about to close on my new house this month, and money will be tight for a while, but if I can, I will. I attended the last one for the full ten days, and I highly recommend this show to everyone who can attend. If you want to see what 3D is supposed to look like, here's your chance. A lot of these prints are one of a kind, and they can only be shown in a handful of theaters, so do not miss it.

If you have the means, and you're thinking about going, definitely go. You will not be disappointed. Way to go, Jeff. [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-03-2006 09:49 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, good luck with this season. Sadly, I won't be able to get there. Any chance of repeating it somewhere on the East coast next year?

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2006 10:30 AM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the prints are too rare to ship in any safe manner, sorry. If we have a print in which there is NO negative in existence, it's just too risky.

Jeff

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-03-2006 08:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeff Joseph
If we have a print in which there is NO negative in existence, it's just too risky.

There are actually extremely safe ways to ship things like that around... its done alot. In fact its probably riskier to be running a given print if you don't have ANY usable negative, internegative, interpositive, seps, etc. for a given title. A careless accident which certainly could happen even in that booth could leave the studio (or collector) with no intact copy at all.....

Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-04-2006 08:52 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think hand carrying prints to local locations are preferred and having attentive projectionists like Paul Rayton overseeing [Cool] The last 3D fest was great and also Cinerama happening the same week was a plus. My partner was blown away by the presentations [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: