Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Who makes the smallest Xenon lamp house. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Who makes the smallest Xenon lamp house.
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 12:21 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive seen some really small self contained units in the Picture Warehouse here on this forum but I have no idea what brand they are. I do not have a lot of room behind my Devry and thought I would not be able to go with Xenon until I saw these pictures.
Can some one identify this lamp house?

Thank you.

Here is one behind a Devry including PS. No bigger then the stock lamp house that comes on the Devry. This would be perfect.
Picture from the Picture Warehouse.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 06:25 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,
I had a pair of B&H Jan projectors that had lamps exactly like the picture. I don't know who really manufactured the unit but the plates on the lamphouses were Cinemeccanica.

Don

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-28-2006 08:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a pile of those Cinemecaniccas in my garage that I rescued from a junk pile at a local theatre. The 900 watters are actually pretty good lamps. The 450 watters were really designed for 16mm projectors but will work ok on 35's with an additional beam spreader lens in the snoot. There is always some job that a verticle lamphouse will do where a horizontal lamphouse can't fit in.
Also, those are not the power supplies on those lamps.... they are just the ignitors. Both the 450 and 900 watters require external supplies.

Mark

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 09:59 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone just kindly pointed out to me the picture posted above is F/S on ebay as a complete system. To bad im east coast.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 11:09 AM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another decent small lamp is the Kneisley Xenex PUP it uses an integral 500 watt bulb / reflector. There were hundreds used in hollywood screening rooms and portable location equipment. I have a nice pair w/ power supplies located in s. central Idaho if anyone is interested. They work on 120V and are smaller than the 900 cinemeccanica, I have mounted them on DeVry, Atlas, and other semi portable machines. They put out a nice field. There even used to be one in Libby MT on the 'preview' projector that ran previews on a 30 ft screen and it didn't look too bad!!

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 11:37 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John PM sent [Smile]

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 12:12 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you Kneisley pup's still have the exposed aspestos wires, or did you replace them?

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 03:24 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW: The original, semi-experimental JAN 16mm xenon conversion was supposedly by Hanovia (actually manufactured by God knows who), which used a pulse illumination concept in lieu of a shutter in the machine. That had to be great for lamp life with 24 ignitions per second!

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 03:37 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ah yes.."exposed asbestos wires" they are still there and are quite intact! Actually they are NOT asbestos as most people think! They are woven cotton braid saturated with liquified asbestos (cementatious) this type wire is quite safe and poses no inhalation hazard unless you remove and grind the insulation up to a fine powder and snort it directly! It's hazard is just another myth of the modern day do gooders... I managed to pick up several like new carbon arc spotlights years ago from a school district because someone thought the cotton braid wiring was hazardous!! Go figure! Of cousre, if one is nervous, all you need to do is encapsulate them with any good heatshrink or PVC tubing!! (another hazard??) or heaven forbid...black electrical tape!

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 05:40 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
We haven't been in touch in a long time, when you upgraded a DeVry projector for us at Turner Entertainment Co. in Culver City.
I am interested in more information about the Knisely lamphouses, to be used on Norelco FP20 projectors.

Dick May

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 11:28 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dick! It's been a while!! The Kneisley L-100 lamps work pretty good! I don't know if you could get a wide enough spot for the FP-20 though....they are easily fitted to any pedistal..I have never tried one on a Norelco.. I have also sold the set I have but I am sure you could find some in the LA area as they were very popular on the Atlas rock & roll portables! What are you up to these days?? I'm enjoying life in Idaho now..phasing out of the film equipment biz! Email me when you have time! Take care, John

Alejandro Lopez
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2006 10:21 AM      Profile for Alejandro Lopez   Email Alejandro Lopez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a pic from a Marin MP-30 with a really small Wassmann Xenon lamphouse an an analog reverse scan.
Unauthorized External Link!
Alejandro.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-30-2006 03:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys,

Keep in mind that NO parts are available from Kneisley for the L-100 or the PUP. Kneisley is barely extant as it is......
Cinemecanicca does still have spares still for both the 450 and 900 watt verticles though.

Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-30-2006 05:38 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ajar projector company in Los Angeles used to take the parts from the L-100 to create a lamphouse no bigger than the incadescent model for their smaller interlock machines....that was quite a few years ago [Cool]

Don E. Nelson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2006 03:20 PM      Profile for Don E. Nelson   Email Don E. Nelson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and the winner is.....The Universal Projector Co. ownwd and operated ( I think) in the old days by Mr. Charles Ajar and company. I own two of these great projectors (They came out of a BIG TIME hollywood movie producers private screening room) and look how small the Xenon lamp houses are. Can anyone out there in 'dimly lit theater" land, tell me anything at all about the history of: how this projector came to be, how many were produced for how much money and who mostly bought them. It seems to use some parts from many other machines.....
Thanks.
 -

-
 -

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: