Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » WARNING for prints of "RV" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: WARNING for prints of "RV"
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-27-2006 08:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like someone at Deluxe forgot all about the SRD track on reel 1 of RV. If the print in front of me is missing it, odds are there are many others out there without it.

Everyone, check your prints. (Do note that just because there are dark squares in between the sprockets, that does not mean it is an SRD track.) Below is a picture of a few frames from my reel 1 without the SRD track.

-

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-27-2006 09:22 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AND they printed it upside down!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-27-2006 09:28 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not a fluke. In order to cut the cost of print film stock, Kodak has stopped coating the emulsion between the sprocket holes.

I'm sure John will comment on this...

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-27-2006 09:30 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really strange [Eek!] --- the density between the perfs shows the soundhead printing light for the Dolby Digital area was on, so the sound negative must have just been clear in the Dolby Digital area. If so, all prints of that reel are affected.

As Phil well knows, Kodak only leaves the emulsion off between the perfs on the side OPPOSITE the Dolby Digital track. [Wink]

(Actually, film is sensitized as "wide rolls" about 54 inches across, from which 38 35mm strips are slit.)

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-27-2006 09:32 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
D-Cinema would never have this problem because digital is perfect. [beer] [thumbsup]

Wait - A digital soundtrack is missing??!! Error! Error! This can't be happening! [Eek!]

Markus Lemm
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2006 10:57 PM      Profile for Markus Lemm   Author's Homepage   Email Markus Lemm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats funny.

I've never seen a print like that before but I remember the prints of 'Crash' that we played had DTS discs but no DTS timecode on the prints. Not sure if it is a Canadian print issue but I personally handled 3 different prints and they all had DTS discs but no timecode.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2006 11:10 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information, Brad [Smile] I'll make sure that my other projectionists know about it as well.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-28-2006 04:05 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if there was a whole run of these Dolby D-less prints, then chances are it might be a bit of a stretch to think Technicolor can round up a slew of replacement reels overnight. This is a good reason why that SR part of the Dolby SR-D system is tweaked out working to the very best it can be, unless you just want to cancel until you can get a good R1.

No reason why the SR analog shouldn't sound nearly as good as the digital track -- most people won't tell the difference, and besides, by the time they sit through 5 other digital reels playing correctly, they won't even remember that it was only analog for the first 18 minutes. Never be afraid of the analog track. [thumbsup]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 02:39 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
Never be afraid of the analog track
Unless you use Cat. 222 SR/A cards, IMHO.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-28-2006 05:12 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember when the distributors would only put a certain digital track on a certain feature? I seem to remember someone put DD on the first few reels of 'Air Force One' before it was realized it wasn't wanted.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-29-2006 08:06 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So are replacement reels being issued? [Confused]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-29-2006 03:22 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Got mine Friday afternoon. I wonder if the studio didn't already know this was a problem and had prints on standby.

I'm going to laugh at the theaters with multiple sound formats (screened in dts and then later moved to srd to this wonderful surprise). [Razz]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-30-2006 01:12 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem here, other than that they shorted me my DTS disk. Spent a few minutes, listening to the ETS guy in California telling me that it was UPS's fault (??).

I'll call the local depot on monday... glad that screen has Dolby. Otherwise, I'd have had to feed lesser-quality SR into my FM transmitter, then to the consistent quality of my discerning customers' FM radios (Sorry, Frank!) [evil]

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2006 05:46 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that scope?

This must be Barry Sonnenfeld's first scope movie.

Martin Ubilluz
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2006 11:35 PM      Profile for Martin Ubilluz   Email Martin Ubilluz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that was just your print. Im Head of projection at my theater and our print was fine and the prints our 6 other theaters got were fine all cyan and digital

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: