Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "80 Days" --- How Many Versions?

Author Topic: "80 Days" --- How Many Versions?
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2006 06:09 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm preparing a little something on "Around The World In Eighty Days" (1956) for the American Cinematheque's upcoming 70mm Film Festival, and it occured to me that this film was prepared in a LOT of different versions. Apparently, several different types were used during the original reserved-seat showings, and who knows what all turned up during the general release and re-releases.

What types in terms of gauge, frame rate, aspect ratio, sound formats, running time, etc. have you seen and/or handled? Ever come into contact with any of the alleged non-standard versions, such as a 34mm print, or a print with 1.5x anamorphic squeeze (instead of 2x), or a version with Perspecta encoded audio? Can you think of any film offered in more versions than "80 Days"?

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2006 06:47 PM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran a 35mm dye transfer 1956 print with "non standard" scope (1.58 or so) at the Cinematheque a few months ago.

We have had 35mm dye transfer Perspecta prints over the years.

Print we're running this time is 70mm 30 fps.

Thanks,

Jeff

Larry Myers
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2006 02:41 PM      Profile for Larry Myers         Edit/Delete Post 
Did they ever make a 30fps 35mm reduction print?

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2006 11:34 PM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The books all say that 35mm 30fps prints (dye transfer) were made, but I've yet to actually confirm this. I have my doubts; would love to actually find one.

Jeff Joseph
SabuCat Productions

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2006 01:39 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
at least one 24 fps 70mm print was made 25 years ago.

for some 70mm trailers, scenes were pan and scanned to fit inside 1,85:1

some original 70mm prints were distortion corrected printed

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2006 09:30 PM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A large number of 70mm 24 fps prints were struck in 1968 from the 65mm 24 fps neg.

In 1982, a single print (70mm, 24 fps) was struck...from the 35mm dupe neg! NOT from the 65mm negative. This print was LPP and later junked by the studio.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: