Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Thank you Film Tech, The manual section is indispensable.

Author Topic: Thank you Film Tech, The manual section is indispensable.
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2006 12:57 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick thanks to FT and Brad.

I picked up a used eprad double mutt and finally got the thing working. I was puzzled with the direction of the payoff and take up having had a eprad sword years ago.

FT to the rescue. Looking at the manual I see the film threads off the top of the reel which is back words to everything else I have ever used. Had it not been for the manual I was trying to use this thing in backwards configuration which I knew was not right. Yes I was not smart enough to figure it out on my own. One of those things that was so simple I missed it.

Anyway thanks Brad for all your efforts.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-22-2006 01:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW: The Eprad Double Mut was originally developed for 3 panel Cinerama.

Mark

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2006 08:25 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Eprad was one of the best film handling systems ever designed but one of the shoddiest made. The arms that hold the rollers tend to bend and will snap off, so make some spares (quite simple to do). The lamp resistors can work loose – check them occasionally. Also check the fuse holders are tight. Be gentle with the speed control, ease it up or down, otherwise film could be damaged. You have to gradually increase speed when rewinding.
King Kong and Titanic can be very heavy to lift on and off. In any case, always protect your hands with a cloth when lifting those heavy reels.
These things are great for make-up and break-down and running a show. I am a little nervous about the strain on a print running from the MUT through the film cleaner, Dolby Digital and DTS heads.
If we didn’t have to run policy sessions, we would use the MUT in preference to the platter.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-22-2006 08:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Curran
I am a little nervous about the strain on a print running from the MUT through the film cleaner, Dolby Digital and DTS heads.

Thats nonsense! It is basically a servo controled demand feed out/take up device. Some of it is sort of flimsy I agree bubt if uesed within its capability it is actually a dam good film transport! Its definately far better than the Shakeamecanica towers [thumbsup] .

Mark

P.S. If a lamp comes loose the motor will tend to oscillate at low speed. The lamp serves as a damper resistor.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2006 09:16 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The mutt is position a few feet behind my projector. My film path from the mutt to the projector and back goes up to the ceiling and over. This way I can walk in between them both. I just installed all my rollers and ran my first test reel,2000' reel of trailers. Had to make some adjustments but she is running smooth. It came delivered partly disassembled so I had to add the the dancer arms and chains and getting servo clicks positioned properly where the motor changes direction took a few tries. Im surprised how quiet the whole system is. Im very limited on space so this really worked out great. Where there's a will there a way.
My only concern over the long run for maintenance are the brushes for the motors. I wonder if you can still get them.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-23-2006 12:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My only concern over the long run for maintenance are the brushes for the motors. I wonder if you can still get them.

| IP: Logged

Brushes yes but be sure to get the coeerct hardness brush. The GE motors are NLA but I believe Eprad has a substitute for it.

Mark

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-27-2006 06:51 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and make sure you check the nuts holding the reel on from time to time throughout the screening. They can work loose.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: