Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New Technicolor "Anti-Piracy" policy (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: New Technicolor "Anti-Piracy" policy
Jeff Lacey
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2006 07:10 PM      Profile for Jeff Lacey   Email Jeff Lacey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else get the Technicolor Anti-Piracy memo, where they are now going to alternate reels in cans? All odd numbered reels are going to be in one can and all even numbered reels are going to be in another....

Anyone see how this is going to solve the piracy problem? It seems like a bit more work at the theater level. I hate to see how the prints will end up once the brain-dead $6/hr "booth ushers" get done with it.

|  IP: Logged

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 04-21-2006 07:33 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly what I would say. With no offense meant to anyone who is retarded, this ranks as one of Technicolor's most retarded "decisions" ever. Films are going to be more likely to be put together with reels out of order by people who aren't aware of the new policy and aren't paying attention.

Also, this policy will only add confusion with regards to circuited prints. Is Technicolor going to rearrange the reels if the print stops at the depot? I know my staff will most likely put the reels back in the cans in numerical order when breaking down a film.

And if the studios really want to combat piracy they should focus more on the ad agencies and production houses where the potential for high-quality piracy is far greater.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-21-2006 08:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What's really pathetic about this is that there is actually someone (or worse yet, a group of people) who are coming up with these idiotic ideas...and getting PAID for it! [Roll Eyes]

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2006 08:18 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the assumption that the films are being intercepted in shipment and copied before receipt at the theatre? Are there reasons to believe that the films are being copied after showing and before transport back to the depot?

If you need both cans of film to complete the feature, how does the odd even packaging make any difference? You still would need both cans for a complete show.

If one can is delayed in transit, you could make up either the first or last half of the feature while waiting for the other can to arrive. With the odd even packaging you are just ____!

Is this post a little late or was it meant for 4/1/06?

KEN

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2006 08:25 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone should email Tim Burke stating that doing this will not slow down piracy, rather it will take and foul up first and possibly second run presentations. Working in a second run house, I've yet to receive a print from technicolor that goes 123S S456. I've had first three in one and last three in another, rarely have I found them in sequenchal order.

This plan of "Anti-Piracy" looks like another way to push for Digital Cinema.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2006 08:26 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is rather odd... I send an email to technicolor asking them to explain exactally how this is going to prevent piracy and the reconsider this decision. If enough of us do this, they may reconsider.

Jeff Lacey
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2006 09:17 PM      Profile for Jeff Lacey   Email Jeff Lacey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken...

I received the fax today, so I am assuming that this new policy starts today.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-21-2006 09:24 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arranging deck chairs on the Titanic! Louis

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 04-21-2006 09:29 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So does anyone have Tim Burke's e-mail address?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-21-2006 09:45 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhahahahahahaha!

Wait, wait....I've got an even better idea...how bout loading the reels wind alternating directions, i.e., R1 with the wind coming off the right side of the reel, R3 the wind comes off the left side, then R5 off the right side again! And then get this....sheer brilliance.....in the second can, REVERSE them!

Damn....I'm a freakin genius!!

THE INMATES A RUNNING THE ASYLUM!!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-21-2006 09:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy Ky, you have that all wrong...

You see, it is standard policy in theatres when sending a print out to:

A) Not reattach the leaders and tails

B) If they are attached to not necessarily attach them to the correct reels so as to foil a would-be thief into an out of order duplication

C) To attach the leaders/tails with duct tape to ensure the would-be theif's telecine (since that MUST be how prints are allegidly stolen) will be ruined when the tape hits the machine.

Technicolor is just trying to get a jump on the whole thing!

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2006 09:53 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim Burke's Email address is in the Reel News Newsletter that was faxed out today.

tim.burke@thomson.net

He also give an extention at the 800-99-Films number.

--Tom

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2006 10:10 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have been receiving prints on flats in odds and evens boxes for some time now, also with some spools tail-out and some head-out. It is confusing enough for us, let alone the pirates with the eye patches.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-21-2006 11:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling this is just something Tim has been told to do by the studios, so assuming he likes the idea of keeping his job, he must do it.

However that doesn't make this practice even the slightest bit intelligent! The more I think about it, the more I think this may be the stupidest idea EVER in the name of trying to prevent piracy.

I dropped Tim an email letting him know about this thread, so even if TES doesn't let him reply publicly, at least he is reading your comments.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-21-2006 11:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, the newsletter I got from TES today didn't have a word about this new "policy."

Also there is a survey in that newsletter, be sure to fill it out! (Join me in putting in a gripe about "not enough trailers" for me, willya?)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: