Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sound AMp Location

Author Topic: Sound AMp Location
Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2006 04:31 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just thinking, why do most theaters place there sound amps in the booth? (now I know that it is easier to turn off and on and for quicker access) but I am talking in a techinical stand point, whouldn't having the amps (at least for the front speakers) be better so there is less resistence in the wire between the amp and the speaker?

|  IP: Logged

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2006 06:28 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is your question?

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2006 06:35 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dr Hare who made the first solid state amplifiers for 3 panel cinerama thought they belonged backstage also and actually had his way in several theaters. After quite a few thrills in backstage handleing by ancient stagehands and others the idea was given up.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-20-2006 06:39 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Placing the amps behind the screen is better audio practice but there are a couple of practical reasons why it does not work very well. The first reason is theft, the second reson is access for service. The backstage area tends to collect old seats, popcorn machines, lobby standees, etc.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-20-2006 07:13 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget that the air behind the screen is normally FILTHY with all those leaf-blowers and other garbage that gets behind the screen...with amps that blow air, it is short order before they are clogged.

However, in theory, yes, behind the screen offers many advantages from an electrical standpoint. With the price of metals nowadays, it even makes some financial sense to consider building a small lockable "amp closet" for them.

With technology like Cobranet, one can send the audio via Cat 5 and save a bundle on that part of the materials an installation. QSC has done this with their Basis line of products...they also afford the exhibitor the ability to monitor the amps from anywhere. To some degree, one could set the system up such that if the Ethernet cable becomes unplugged...the system calls the cops or at least alerts some form of security. I know this is starting to happen in colleges where many of the A/V systems have Ethernet connections...if the unit fails or becomes out of touch, the system automatically dispatches someone to investigate.

That said, I like my amps in the booth...aside from the dirt issue, it makes troubleshooting a lot easier.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2006 07:47 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do any Cinema processors support Cobranet yet?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-20-2006 08:48 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kintek found out (with the KT-90 subwoofer) that many codes require "supervision" (people) if the amp was remote located backstage.

Too bad, technically it is a good idea. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-20-2006 08:52 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like keeping it all in the booth from a troubleshooting point of view

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-20-2006 09:03 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use SoundWeb to control system audio channels from the booth as well as a main mixing console in the center of the orchestra and a backstage mixing console. The amps are all in a separate room backstage. Since cinema and live sound events require different configurations between the systems, the SoundWeb allows instantanious changing between all three systems with all the parameters from eq to delay automatically preset.

Our amps have always been located in close proximity to the speaker clusters in a separate air-conditioned "amp" room even be for the SoundWeb installation. This location allows for short amp-to-speaker runs (HH amps to the JBL clusters) of less than 75ft.

[ 04-20-2006, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Frank Angel ]

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2006 10:27 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We put our amps behind the screen simply because it was well over 100 feet from the booth and we couldn't fit all the heavy guage speaker wire into the existing conduit. I ran an 8 pr snake (plus an additional control pair to remote control the AC to the amps via a low voltage relay) through the existing conduit.

Steve

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2006 07:35 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steven J Hart
we couldn't fit all the heavy guage speaker wire into the existing conduit. I ran an 8 pr snake (plus an additional control pair to remote control the AC to the amps via a low voltage relay) through the existing conduit.

An 8 pair snake? Must be a good 3/4 inch of cable. How much does a good 100 to 150 feet of snake cost? How do you run that through conduit?

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2006 08:09 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
An 8 pair snake? Must be a good 3/4 inch of cable. How much does a good 100 to 150 feet of snake cost? How do you run that through conduit?
Its a snake made for installations, not heavy duty floor use - I don't think it was much bigger than 1/2 to 5/8 inch. Don't remember the exact cost, but I don't think it was too bad. We pulled it through the 1" conduit with the old wire using LOTS of lube.

Steve

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-21-2006 09:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use a fair amount of "8-snake"...Belden 1410R, I believe is its number. Anyway...it will fit a standard 25-pin Dsub shell so it is in the 1/2" range in diameter. It also not only provides 8 individually shielded pairs (numbered and color coded) but also an 18awg overall shield.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: