Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Who is in the Rush Rush mode?

Author Topic: Who is in the Rush Rush mode?
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2006 11:54 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am new in the field so I may have some funny perceptions. One thing I know though is that I try to make the most of my service calls by rushing through everything I work on with as much quality as I can provide (no breaks.)

I always feel like I have to smoke a cigarette when I'm done.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-18-2006 11:59 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again Eric - Please take your time when doing services. There is no need to rush - for you rush and there could be more chances for error.

Your customer will be more gratified if you take your time and know what you're doing. It'll gain their trust in you and your work if you show dependibility, being cautious, showing precise and accurate measurments. et.al.

You need to remember this if you want to develop a good 'fan base' .. it DOES come in handy.

..just drink lots of water instead..it'll dilute the nicotine craving.

-good luck... thx-Monte

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2006 12:16 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I happen to agree with Monte. It's always a good idea to do things while not rushing. Whenever I have to do a maintenance duty, I never rush. It's better to do something right the first time than to rush and to have a high chance of an error. So, always to take your time. And, on another note, I agree also that drinking lots of water is a good thing to drive down that nicotine craving. I know from experience since I am also a smoker.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-19-2006 12:25 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx Chad, for your reply. Yet, I wasn't perfect at this when I started: I rushed and make huge mistakes, especially when doing a intermittent rebuild - got to much in a hurry and didn't do the rebuild right. Luckilly, after seeing what I have done, I had to start almost over..and when I did and really slowed down, the rebuild was a lot better and the unit ran very quiet from there on.

(not to bring up individual personal habits and please take no offence to this, it's just that drinking a lot of water helped my friend kick the nicotine habit..I'm not a smoker, but I really guzzle the water when I do service work...lol)

thx-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-19-2006 08:29 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Please take your time when doing services. There is no need to rush - for you rush and there could be more chances for error.

That is true in a situation like Montes with working just for a single theatre chain but when the customer is paying 65.00 an hour or more plus expenses. My motto is:

Work Quickly... Work Accurately... Be Thourogh... But most importantly do the job right. Slow down where you need to.

And skip that cigarette break or it'll permanently slow you down.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-19-2006 02:54 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..just don't do stupid things like tripping over wire, leaving your tools where you can't find them, don't stand on very top of the stepladder..anything to get hurt while on the job..

thx, Mark.. - Monte

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-19-2006 03:54 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, do a job YOU will be proud of.

Do the job at the speed it takes. You will be hurt more by being speedy/incorrect than slow and perfect.

"Always time to do it over; never time to do it perfectly." Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-19-2006 07:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Do the job at the speed it takes.
No doubt that any experienced tech automatically does that many times each day......

quote: Louis Bornwasser
Yes, do a job YOU will be proud of.
Goood point Louis.... Problem is that alot of kids have little to no value/respect taught to them in the first place. Perhaps too many Parent/Drug Dealer types raising todays kids or something. At GTS I worked around alot of different schools all around the Mountain States.... I was really dismayed by the kids lack of respect and values for anything. Of course there are still a few Beaver Cleaver types out there thank god!

Mark

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2006 10:13 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Mark, wasn't Beaver the kid who always messed everything up?

Me, I'm an Eddie Haskell, and proud of it - squirt!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-20-2006 11:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But Mark, wasn't Beaver the kid who always messed everything up?

Me, I'm an Eddie Haskell, and proud of it - squirt!

Gee Peter.... Sure he messed up... but he learned from those mess ups thanks to Ward! Kids today just don't seem to learn... they keep messing up [Roll Eyes] .

Me, I'm definately more like Gus the fireman.... Patiently waiting for the next call.... keeping all in the shop nice n shiny and ready to go to the next call.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: