Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Are speakers protruding out the back wall good practice?

Author Topic: Are speakers protruding out the back wall good practice?
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2006 06:48 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At some theatres (like the one I was at today), in order to save on square footage, the speaker boxes for the screen speakers go out the back wall. You can see the boxes in the back of the building. Since the back wall is only cut out where the speakers are, it sort of creates a baffle wall. My question is, is there any downside to installing screen speakers this way?

|  IP: Logged

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2006 07:25 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try getting to them if you need to.

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2006 07:43 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about Florida but exposing speakers to the elements in Michigan is probably a mistake. Plus, to replace a driver or something do you have to take down the screen?

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2006 07:50 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the speaker enclosers themselves are stuck through the
wall with no protection from the elements.... I'd say NO.
Why treat an investment in equipment with such insanity?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-18-2006 08:05 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Florida it was a common thing with many U.A. and some Cobb houses. Usually it was a weather resistant metal or similar enclosure. We always had to loosen the screen to do repairs [Roll Eyes]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-18-2006 09:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can be very beneficial if done right. Concrete forms the best baffle wall there is but it has to be treated correctly.

Mark

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2006 10:57 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK I agree that there may be some type of benefit; however, I protest the whole concept, especially if accesing or servicing the speakers requires manipulation of the screen or anything more.

Getting access to some speakers is sometimes more than difficult, but get serious...if you completely blockade access to the speaker, how can you expect anyone to have the the motiviation to perform a quality assesment of your sound problem? We all know that techs are limited to small amounts of time with expectations of high yeild results. How could any technician decide that they would like to sink a significant amount of their time into trying to gain access to a speaker? This just makes me irritated!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-18-2006 11:37 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I protest the whole concept, especially if accessing or servicing the speakers requires manipulation of the screen or anything more.

[Confused] NOW...when was the last time that ANY speaker had to be accessed, or serviced - outside of the speakers getting stolen out of the bins, and who is gonna remove the screen from the frame to steal speakers in the first place?

Plus, if a speaker driver does blow, you take the speaker out of the bin from the front, thus there is really no need to swing the bin around.

Also, if the HF driver acts up, I'm sure that the task of sliding that bin out of that enclosure isn't all that tough to get to the HF driver (which are also rare cases of going out..unless some freaking idiot upstairs on the amp rack decides to set the dips on the processor to full bandwidth instead of biamp, where all of the frequencies are sent to both HF and LF speakers via the amplifiers..then the HF diaphram loves to be destroyed..)

One doesn't have to COMPLETELY remove a screen to access speakers, even if they are on a platform. It's not that hard to rehang, and restring/respring any screens..(if you know how to do it right, and if you don't, better holler at a tech to do such of a task).

Sorry, that's a bit of a good one.

-Monte

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2006 11:46 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
NOW...when was the last time that ANY speaker had to be accessed, or serviced - outside of the speakers getting stolen out of the bins
It may be that I must be in a unique situation or perhaps the victim of a poor install because I service one theatre which has blockaded access to their speakers through many creative methods and unfortunately many of the low frequency drivers have blown in addition to other speakers which have simply fallen forward or backwards for some reason. I can certainly gain access when I need to, but I sure can not guess what the developers were thinking of when it comes to speaker maintenance.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-19-2006 03:46 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte: EV speakers: the glue fails after 4-7 years.
Altec (A7): the diaphragms are failure prone when cold
JBL seem not to care
"Waterbed" speakers will freeze
All of these problems are made much worse when not kept in normal room temperature and normal humidity. Couple this with loose wires and mice and you will note that speakers do require access. (I am in Louisville, Ky and NOT in the frozen North.) Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: