Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Leaving notes in the can

Author Topic: Leaving notes in the can
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2006 08:20 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After breaking down NIGHT WATCH yesterday, I dropped a note in the can informing the next projectionist that reels one and two were missing heads when they arrived to me. I threw on a couple spare trailer heads so I wouldn't have to tape the reels down directly on the film (like the last projectionist did), and I wanted the next guy or girl to know. What's the chances that my note will even see the light of day? Does Technicolor pitch notes from projectionists?

|  IP: Logged

Kara J. McVay
Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2006 09:11 PM      Profile for Kara J. McVay   Author's Homepage   Email Kara J. McVay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did that exact thing with a print of "The Hours" last week, came from ETS with no heads or tails, I had no leader, so I made some up with an old trailer and left note informing next projectionist of ID frames and what I had done.

I always try to have a print leave in better condition than it showed up.

K!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-17-2006 09:15 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea! With no notes, the next guy might "out" you on the "you suck" blog. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-17-2006 09:43 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ETS is good for not checking their shipments - in or out. This is where TECH comes in at the lead: if a reel has no leader when it comes back in from a first run, they attach some sort of leader, even if it's clear film with the title and reel number to identiy for the next theatre-be it a second or discount run house.

But, do love the little 'notes' that other operators write in the cans themselves to identify themselves - be it a union notice, just to say "hi", note from a head operator of a theatre that was written long time ago, or just to sell something.

But, can we never forget those cartoon box cans that has signatures from practically everyone in existence in the exhibition world?

-monte

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2006 09:52 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I happen to agree that it's always a good idea to leave a note before the movie get's shipped. It's just out of plain courtesy to the next person who will get the print. So, cheers to everyone who leaves a note in the film can(s) for the next projectionist. [beer]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-18-2006 12:27 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've left notes in the can if a print is received damaged.

I also used to enjoy writing THESE REELS SUCK! on the split reels that were always falling apart. Thankfully THAT problem has been reduced lately.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-18-2006 02:41 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I also used to enjoy writing THESE REELS SUCK! on the split reels that were always falling apart. Thankfully THAT problem has been reduced lately.

..remember those first generation black shipping reels from TECH? Damned things were so horrible and busted up after awhile, that I would take spray adhesive, which contained tolulene, spray on that center hub of each side and actually glue that reel together to the core...

..bet those people at TECH really loved me...lol

-Monte

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 04-18-2006 09:27 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you leave a note, tape it to a reel, particularly if it's the reel in question. We recently found a note taped to the top of the inside of a can AFTER the film had been built up. Sort of defeats the purpose of a note if it's well hidden.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: