Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A question about interlocking

Author Topic: A question about interlocking
Iben Jimenez
Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2006 10:53 PM      Profile for Iben Jimenez   Email Iben Jimenez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All:
My automation is the Pennywise CA21. It has an interlock key, but is not available because the projectors are not interconnected, so we start the projectors manually when setting interlocks. But if the projectors were interconnected, how can I use this interlock key?
Another thing that I was wandering: What is the purpose of the rollers with the counterweight in the middle of the two projectors when using interlocking?

[ 04-15-2006, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Iben Jimenez ]

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2006 01:47 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The purpose of those rollers is to allow you to notice if one projector is running faster than the other so you can adjust each projector. They are also there to allow there to be some tension for the failsafes.

I'm not to sure about the Pennywise systems, but I would assume that they would allow you to start the motors at the same time, while having a cue to strick the xenons and start the automation countdown.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-15-2006 02:13 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Iben Jimenez
What is the purpose of the rollers with the counterweight in the middle of the two projectors when using interlocking?

..keeps the film taught between machines so the failsafes can stay up from the feel machine and keep the tension on the film constant heading towards the receiving machine.

When you have quite a bit of film being strung out, film is quite a bit on the heavy side and can't support itself, thus about every 20 feet or so, "accumulators" (film tighteners) are placed inbetween machines to keep the film placed on the rollers.

Go to the video section and watch "interlock 101" if you really want to see a miracle interlocking...quite amazing. The most I have ever done is a 6 machine interlock that I created and made it work.

-Monte

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-15-2006 04:23 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your cinema has status boxes it is a good chance that the CA21's are hooked together for interlock purposes. Depending on how your cinema was set up there are "zones" assigned for interlock. The CA21 has to be in exit mode and by pressing interlock the volume display will show "IG" and by doing other functions you can lock or unlock the automation for interlock.

The problem is we do not know how the installing techs or management management desired your systems to run, which varied from location to location, and if your present techs know how to maintain them since they where only familiar with another brand of automation....which are not as flexible as the CA21.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-16-2006 04:21 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Once the interlock group is set as Richard noted, you have to press MANUAL INTERLOCK EXIT in order to activate the interlock mode. Just select two machines and put them in interlock group 01 and enter both into interlock mode, prop the failsafes up on both machines and start one of them. Did both projectors start? If so, you're set.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: