Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How to set phase without scope?

Author Topic: How to set phase without scope?
Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2006 02:25 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I've been in couple of situation when i haven't scope and I have need to set phase on reader, and then i must run home to get scope.....it's OK if I wasn't 300Km from home [Big Grin]

I was thinking about connecting both channel (L

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2006 01:18 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does your RTA have 'SUM' and/or 'DIFFERENCE' modes?

If so it's fairly easy. In SUM mode the trace shape shouldn't chnage and will rise up the display, assuming the Lt and Rt signals are in phase. In DIFFERENCE mode the tracw will fall, but again the trace shape should be similar to that of Lt or Rt. Out of phase signals will show as a dip or a bump in the trace.

In days gone by both focus and phase were set using 9kHz tone film, and adjusting for peak output. I don't know if you can get such tone film anymore.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-15-2006 03:23 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By connecting the channels together and listening to the center channel monitor, you can get your reader pretty close... if you've got really good ears. Even then, you probably won't get it right on, but it'll be close enough for government work until you can get back there with a scope or RTA.

Remember, when adjusting it this way, you're listening for max highs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: