Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How do you know if your reflector dichroic coating is gone?

Author Topic: How do you know if your reflector dichroic coating is gone?
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2006 11:12 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have several lamphouses (Strong Super Highlight II, with 4000W xenon bulb installed) which seem to generate significant heat despite excellent cooling (bulb, roof exhaust, gate cooling fan.)

I have just installed a new heat filter lens in the snood which is facing the correct way. If I turn the bulb current up to about 90% of the bulbs max rated current, the projection lens becomes very hot ie. you can't touch it with your hand for too long.

The bulb adjustments are set correctly, so that the reflector is not focusing uneeded light on the heat shields or the areas around the aperture.

At this point I'm guessing the dicroic coating of the reflector has died, but I don't know how to test this theory. Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-15-2006 04:00 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The coating is generally golden colored and as it flakes the reflector will throw more I.R. to the film. Flaking and reflector darkening, which causes the most heat, will be at the F1 point of the reflector which is where the arc gap of the xenon bulb is located with in the reflector.
If that is the Strong 15" reflector running 4KW in the Highlight II ( generally )that unit is not as efficient as the newer style 13.5" reflector. Is your dichoric heat filter properly mounted at an angle to reflect the I.R. away from the reflector?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-15-2006 06:50 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another item that will make a big difference: Make sure your exhaust is drawing more air than the internal blower is pulling. If you can feel heat from your snood, you don't have enough exhaust and the internal blower is pushing hot air into your projector.

My projectors went from hot to nearly cold to the touch when I changed blowers here.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-16-2006 09:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This where the basic question that I have as well - I have X-90's with mirrors that are flaking directly across from the flame point in the bulb.

Course, these mirrors are the mirrors that are doped in the circular frame, thus the mirrors can't act as very good heatsinks due to the isolation of the mirror to frame by the dope.

-Monte

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-17-2006 10:14 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The heat transfer is from airflow across the back surface of the reflector not the frame

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2006 11:00 AM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Say your coating is gone.. can you have it resurfaced? At what cost? Would you save more over time if you just bought new ones?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-17-2006 11:01 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UltraFlat will refinish it to a very good efficient hot mirror

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2006 11:53 AM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see they have a product called "UltraClean". Has anyone used this stuff? We have Xetron XCN consoles with 2k bulbs whose reflectors are very hazy. I've tried everything to clean them to no avail. I've just about given up and chalk the appearance of them to age (they're about 11 years old)

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2006 11:57 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just dont go beyond the specs of the original blower. I had an interesting conversation with an engineer from Osram. He looked at the design of the Mega lamphouse and told me because of the lamphouse design, we had "cold spots" on the bulb due to the positioning of the fans. He said this would cause some turbulance inside the bulb.

Rick

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-17-2006 12:59 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
The heat transfer is from airflow across the back surface of the reflector not the frame

..which is horrible with these early X-90 consoles with that 2 inch blowhole positioned below the cathode seal..since that one blower has to feed both blowholes. Once again..poor lamphouse design...-Monte

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-17-2006 03:15 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ultraclean has an chalky medium suspended in a liquid with a tiny bit of grit for polishing...guaranteed to destroy any dichoric coating in one polish [Razz] but fine for rodium or nickel plated reflectors.
I did modifications on a bunch of lamphouses for a manufacturer where the airflow was so imbalanced it was almost a vaccum in the front of the box versus the rear...new air slots in the front made the bulb vendor happy regarding tubulence and explosion issues [Cool]

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2006 03:19 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Fowler
Is your dichoric heat filter properly mounted at an angle to reflect the I.R. away from the reflector?
Yes, the filter lens is mounted in a metal ring at a slight angle.

I don't have any yellow flaking, just a lot of heat radiation.

I was looking for some type of measurement test method I could employ to test the coating or reflector performance. These reflectors go for $2K to $3K each, so I would hate to recommend a replacement and be out all of that money if I was wrong.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-17-2006 08:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cory Isemann
We have Xetron XCN consoles with 2k bulbs whose reflectors are very hazy.
Cory,

You need to get the Big Sky upgrade kits for those consoles. You will get at least double the light out of them with the upgrade. Just did one in Casper, WY last week and light levels jumped way up, especially on the sides.

Typically redone non-dicro mirrors are so close in cost to new factory dicro mirrors that purchasing new mirrors makes far more sense. Keep in mind that you will be getting a standard reflector back... not a dichotic as may have been the original.... then you will need to add heat filters on 3KW and larger lamps so there goes about another 500.00 plus. Re-done mirrors are manily reserved for those with obsolete equipment that cannot obtain any sort of new mirror. Ultraflat can do Dichroic but at great additional cost over the base price of the standard mirror. According to Bob Destolphi at Ultraflat they do very vew of them.

quote: Eric Robinson
These reflectors go for $2K to $3K each
They don't cost any where near that much!

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-17-2006 08:49 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'bout half of that. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: