Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Century SA strange squealing sound

Author Topic: Century SA strange squealing sound
John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2006 08:34 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a call of a Century SA on an R3 soundhead where the soundhead was making a loud squeal for the first several seconds during startup. First thing I did was remove the drive belt and switch the machine on. The noise was not there so I reinstalled the belt and again switched the machine on and could hear the loud noise coming from what seems to be the bottom of the projector. I check all the gears and all have been recently greased. I oiled the upper and lower sprocket shafts and still could hear the noise. Then I removed the lower sprocket shaft and ran the machine and the noise is still there. Im assuming that this is a bearing making the noise but just want to make sure theres nothing else I should check. I forgot to mention, the intermittent was just rebuilt a couple months ago. Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2006 09:07 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the belt tensioner in the soundhead. I've seen that go on many machines. Would squeal for a while then stop.

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2006 09:33 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John;
Some things never change no matter how much time has elapsed.
Century was never known for precision, so I would suggest you check the bearings on the sound sprocket on the alleged reproducer. Take ahold of the sprocket and see how much you can move it. Isolate the shaft, turn it manually and,I think you will find the problem there. They decided ,in their infinite wisdom,to replace a bronze sleeve with these two bit ball bearings that should`nt even be used on a child`s toy.I can`t remember when they decided to do that.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2006 12:14 AM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I take the drive belt off between the soundhead and projector the noise goes away so that should eliminate the soundhead sprocket as the problem. The tensioner is something I have not checked and I will give that a try.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-13-2006 12:56 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is a high pitch 'bird-like' tweeting/squeaking sound it is definitely the tensioner roller. Remove it, clean it and (if it is one of the ones that doesn't have a bearing in it) lube it.

Problem Solved.

-Aaron

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-13-2006 05:51 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THe "ultimate repair" is to change that roller assembly to the newer style with ball bearings. You must have an older R3 with the formica roller. Also change the R5-80, the roller just after the sound sprocket if it has not already been changed. Quiet forever! Louis

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2006 08:37 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right on Louis. I just changed one of those old formica ones out last week for a new one with the ball bearings. Instant quiet.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: