Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » how hot is to hot in the projection booth? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: how hot is to hot in the projection booth?
Robert D. LaValley
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2006 04:03 PM      Profile for Robert D. LaValley   Email Robert D. LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in booths were the AC is not working and the only thing that is cooling the projectors is the exaust fans. How hot is to hot to be running a projection booth? In one booth the temp outside of the lamp houses got up to 110 degrees. When does it become an issue for film and or equipment?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2006 04:48 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exhaust systems are designed to pull into the lamphouse so many cubic feet of air to cool the bulb. I'd say, even at 110 degrees if the unit is operating properly it should not be a problem. I've ran booths with temperatures in excess of 100 degrees in the summer and have never had issues with striking or flickering due to heat.

On the other hand, I have noticed problems with sound systems (and other circuit-based equipment) when it gets that hot. Excessive heat causes DTS units to drop out of digital. Also the screens on the CP500 becomes faint and has a slight flicker to it.

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2006 05:31 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the humans in the booth...I worked in a booth than ran 90+ in the summer...

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-01-2006 09:16 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People & electronics are heat limited. Louis

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2006 09:41 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the days of carbon arcs and valve amps, and before projectionists were required to do ground floor duties as well, some of our operators worked in their underwear in Australia's summers.

Robert D. LaValley
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2006 03:08 AM      Profile for Robert D. LaValley   Email Robert D. LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well basically what I am looking at is if you're looking for the best presentation with out failing equipment do you want it cooler, does it matter? There's always the talk of fighting humid and dryness in booths, and this is florida booths here with this heat. so I'm having to fix this equipment with these temperatures what do I have to look forward to for problems due to the climate of the booth? assume that you have no AC at all, and just the projectors exuast fans moving air. And right now the projectionists have to go clean theatres between rounds then run upstairs and thread and start. the other thing I noticed I have stong hightlight II lamphouses that I cant keep my hand on the top of it for more then a second without burning myself, I dont have a meter to check airflow but it seems to be pulling air pretty good becuase the air vein stays up and when I put a hand near the exaust pipe it feels like its moving air pretty good.
Any tips appriciated.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2006 03:34 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in theatre without any fans in lamphouse running 2,5KW bulb, wow!!!! You can't touch lamphouse!
Then I realized why collor dropped from that projector :-))!!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-02-2006 04:40 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was working in the drive-in's, Summer booth temperaturs where quite high due to those two Ashcrafts pumping out the heat and the booth wasn't insulated.

...and the reverse coming the end of the season when the booth was so cold that we had to turn on the machines a good half hour just to get them warmed up before film was ran through them...no booth heat was installed. (kinda fun loading carbon rods in the lamphouse while wearing a heavy coat...let along threading and doing changeovers...)

quote: Robert D. LaValley
I dont have a meter to check airflow but it seems to be pulling air pretty good becuase the air vein stays up and when I put a hand near the exaust pipe it feels like its moving air pretty good.

What size of bulb IS in those HiLite II's anywho...? And what kind of exhaust fan is up on the roof - turbine or squirrel cage? Do you know what the CFM rating are for those fans?

Granted, the draft going up in keeping the sailfin failsafe switch up feels sufficent, but you could be cooking the console (and the bulb) to death with low airflow....

Is the upper blower blowing enough air though the plenum to keep the negative end cool enough and a good flow going through the mirror? Are you keeping these blower wheels clean? Is your exhaust units on the roof functionable and clean as well..no restrictions of exhaust flow?

Mark G always mention that if you lay a sunday paper in the console, the paper will be drawn up to the stack if the upflow of air is sufficent enough - no matter what wattage the bulb is.

quote: Aaron Mehocic
On the other hand, I have noticed problems with sound systems (and other circuit-based equipment) when it gets that hot. Excessive heat causes DTS units to drop out of digital. Also the screens on the CP500 becomes faint and has a slight flicker to it.

..better get an auxillary fan/cooling/exhaust system blowing on these units to keep their temperatures under control as well..just don't let them perculate in the heated atmosphere..you'll kill them very quickly due to the excessive heat, for electronic items are so very sensitive to heat as well..

-Monte

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-02-2006 10:36 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the equipment prefers it to be cool. Set the AC at 68, and all the equipment will thank you. If the booth operators are cold, give them a jacket. [Smile]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-02-2006 10:56 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the "Florida" issue is excessive heat and humidity. Besides the personal discomfort; it would surely be cheaper to TAKE CARE OF THE EQUIPMENT by having suitable cooling and therefore reduction of humidity. (I don't think there are any owners who care about people.) Rust, bulb life, and all kinds of circuitry problems are stopped instantly by proper temperature and humidity control. Louis

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-03-2006 09:00 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For proper film handling, control of relative humidity is more important than temperature. Ideally, film handling and projection areas should be maintained near 50% relative humidity. At very low humidities (below about 30% RH), the film curl becomes excessive, and static issues are more likely. In very damp conditions (above about 70% relative humidity), the film emulsion becomes softer, stickier, easier to abrade, and more prone to buildup of hardened gelatin in the hot projector gate. Really damp conditions can be an issue for high voltage electronics, especially xenon ignitors. As Louis mentioned, rust and corrosion are more problematic in damp conditions.

Temperature is more critical for operator comfort, and for proper cooling of electronic equipment. Remember that winter heating can significantly reduce the relative humidity below the desired range, so humidification may be needed to keep the relative humidity near the aim of 50%RH. In tropical climates, air conditioning or dehumidification should be used to lower the relative humidity to near 50% RH.

Every projection room should have accurate humidity gauges to be sure the relative humidity is near 50 percent RH. Accurate digital gauges are available for about $20 USD.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2006 09:31 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was having problems with the bulbs striking last summer...and then I bought a dehumidifier and the problems went away.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2006 09:32 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote Ron Curran
quote: Ron Curran
some of our operators worked in their underwear in Australia's summers.
yep! I was one of them ,Carbon arcs DC Motor generators and no AC it got damn hot in there , i remember gasping at the open ports while dodging incoming bugs the size of golf balls.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2006 04:54 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte Hall said:

"When I was working in the drive-in's, Summer booth temperaturs where quite high due to those two Ashcrafts pumping out the heat and the booth wasn't insulated".

Amen to that Monte! Here in NJ you got those hot nights where you left the screen doors open and had a fan to blow the air across the booth. Usually you sat outside (if the bugs weren't too bad) until changeover time. Then, thread, check the carbons again and make a bee-line for the outside. [Smile]

Fortunately, I only worked relief at the drive-ins. Much perferred the hardtops in the summer.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-03-2006 11:53 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John T. Hendrickson, Jr
"Monte Hall"
[Big Grin] ..one of my nicknames...lol ..

..and you talk about heat is when you work in a drive-in with Strong Futura II's with those big 13.6mm rotators carbons blasting light and the heat through a pair of Motiographs "AA's" to shoot light on a 100x60 foot screen 150 feet away... Damn..that booth was HOT during the summer..let along having 14 Motiograph tube amplifiers for the speakers pumping out the heat as well, fans everywhere, drinking ice water, wiping our selves down with wet cloths..et.al. ..and that booth didn't have an front outside exit to get away between changeovers. You had to pass though the concession area to get to the booth..Thus, you were stuck either in the booth or in the concession area (which wasn't the best idea since you might just miss the reel end alarm at times) but, you know, that was still fun. [Big Grin]

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: