Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lightweight tools

Author Topic: Lightweight tools
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2006 01:57 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently I made my first airplane trip with my tools. The Airlines were a little astonished when they grabbed my 90lb case.

I have lightened the load as much as possible by selecting small and light test equipment. The only thing left is to lighten my hand tools.

Does anyone know of a good resource for finding lightweight wrenches or any other lightweight tools?

ERIC

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-31-2006 08:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope I carry 3 cases at 70lbs each
1 is screwdrivers, and nutdrivers allen wrenchs etc
the next has sockets flat wrenchs soldering station crimpng tools
fox and hound fluke meter fluke current clamp
the third case has the leader scope the R2 and a loftech tone generator rack mounted in it
then there is the PSA in its own case
Airline love seening me as the overbaggage charges keep going up

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2006 09:58 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I thought I would just bring two cases on my next trip.

Like the Leader scope, I just scored one on EBay for $215.00

I had an Audiocontrol RTA (about 11 lbs) which I have replaced with an Audigy Extigy USB (about 0.3 lbs) in combination with some Spectrum Analysis software which I run on my laptop.

I am interested in tracking down some lighter wrenches though if possible.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-01-2006 04:13 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.wihatools.com/
has a line of flat wrenchs that are faily light as does Britool in the UK
I use Wera for screwdrivers and Xcelite 99 serries for allen and nutdrivers

Ted Vetzal
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2006 06:02 PM      Profile for Ted Vetzal   Email Ted Vetzal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric,
It's one of these unavoidable things. There are certain things that you need to do the job right. Sometimes I will ship my tool case with all of my hand tools and my case with my cords, jigs, adaptors, etc by UPS, but my case with scope, light meter, Ivie RTA and the case with my R2 fly with me.

Gordon,
How big is the case that you have your R2 and scope in? I tuck my spare laptop for the R2 in with it, but that about fills the case. (I have it in the large Pelican case that it came in.)

Thanks,
Ted

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-04-2006 08:27 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the leader scope R2 and Loftech generator in its road case
It is a freistat case similar to the SKB line

-

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2006 12:01 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you give me a brief description of the function and use of the R2 and Loftech generator.

I have only used a tone generator to sweep an auditorium for vibrating fixtures and also to test each diver of a speaker.

ERIC

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-06-2006 09:10 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The R2 is a sophisticated real time spectrum analyzer
The Loftech is a frequency counter db meter and oscilator in one package which is handy in the field
The scope is a leader 20meg dual trace

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2006 10:26 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a little digging around and noted that the R2 is the Lucasfilm/THX "R2" computerized RTA. Do you use the oscilator in cunjunction with the RTA to measure reverberation?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-08-2006 11:14 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope the R2 gates noise for that function

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2006 12:05 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone used titanium tools from Imprex?

Imprex Titanium Tools

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: