Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » List some dumb things you have seen projectionists do (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: List some dumb things you have seen projectionists do
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2006 11:18 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is relating to film and equipment. Stories like getting drunk and mooning the audience through the port window belong in a different thread.

something I have seen:

I know of someone who has his or her opening "projectionist" pre-cut the heads and tails of the new prints, then splice them back together and put them back in the cans until the scheduled build up person(s) arrives to officially build the print. This is supposed to somehow make the job easier for the person(s) building up at night.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-24-2006 12:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of one guy who has a fool-proof system for removing scratches from prints. His solution? Simply cut out the scratched footage and throw it away! Voila, a scratch-free print.

No joke, he's one of the head local booth guys and it's for a major chain too.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2006 01:48 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To maintain a constant width, for Scope this Projectionist cut a new plate to crop the width and fitted a new lens. who cares what goes on at the sides, he said. Don't try this at home.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-24-2006 02:57 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two stories here...

1 - Knowing an operator that would slop up a print with 20 ft of shoe polish on each end of the splice and still use yellow opaque tape at the join. I asked him on this and he told me that he doesn't want to waste his time hunting for the splices (typical lazy-type operator who gets paid royally and still has very lazy booth operations..) on breakdown. ....for a three plex.

2- (this one really tops them all for me...) I was a booth manager for a megaplex and had 6 assistants under me. One assistant (assistant "A"), determined to make a notch with the theatre, was working with my other assistant (assistant "B") for the day session - I wasn't scheduled until the evening shift. We were playing "SW-EPI" back in '99.

I arrived for the evening shift and assistant "B" told me something that I just about flipped over and should have fired assistant "A" for his stupiditiy.

Assistant "A" was covering one half of the building and had called Assistant "B" over to 'verify' something. Assistant "B" got over there and about crapped a brick. Here was a P35 machine, running WITHOUT any loops whatsoever, hammering away like mad. - in the middle of SW:EP1.

Assistant "B" immediately slammed down the machine and reset the loops for normal operation. (guess what happened is that he did something to the Ultramittent shoe to pop them open, thus losing the loops..) and asked Assistant "A", after doing the resetting: "Why the frik didn't you shut down the machine immediately when these loops were lost! Don't you have common sense when these things happen to obviously know what to do?"

Then, the CLASSIC answer was: "Thank you very much. I do have common sense. It's just that I needed someone to come over here to verify that there is something wrong before I shut down this machine...! [Eek!] "

...we had to order a replacement reel that was damaged DUE to "his common sense."

..to this day, even though Assistant "B" has gone off to other lands and adventures, we occasionly keep in contact and remind each other to "use common sense to verify something.."

..that was the worst one I've ever heard about...

-Monte

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2006 03:56 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know SOME (not only one!) projectionists, who cut out half of the credits and splice them back on after playing. So you get a print with lots 'o splices in the credits section.

Jason Winn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2006 12:32 PM      Profile for Jason Winn   Email Jason Winn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one guy I used to work with was building up the print Van Helsing. He somehow "forgot" an entire reel! He put the reels on like this: ...4, 5, and 7. He skipped reel 6! He didn't even realize it until it was being screened by one of the other projectionists. They were putting away the cans and he saw an extra reel just lying around. He had to stop the movie and add it on.

The same guy I just mentioned above was "attempting" to build up Elektra one night. Notice I said "attempting" because this has to single-handedly be the worst build-up job I have ever seen. First, he put two of the same trailers on. He had two Mr. and Mrs. Smith trailers back to back. Then, he forgot to put the Fantastic Four trailer on. By the way, Fox was advertising Fantastic Four to be shown before Elektra, so it was a big deal. Then, he had two (not one, but two) mis-splices during the trailer pack. But it gets better! He left a piece of tape on the print about halfway through the movie. When it ran through the projector, it caused a brain-wrap. It was a huge mess. About a foot and a half was chewed up and had to be cut off. Plus, I think some of the film got scratched due to the brain-wrap.

Last but not least, the same guy I mentioned both times above started a movie nearly 25 minutes late one time! That is unacceptable! You know why he started it late? Because he just forgot about it. He was sitting around doing nothing and wasn't paying attention to his performance schedule. He wasn't even in the booth, so he didn't hear the projector beeping. What really surprises me is that the customers in the theatre waited so long before they told someone their movie hadn't started yet. It was a weekday and we weren't really that busy. I think there was only like 5 or 6 people in the theatre. But, that is still unacceptable. I never started movies late. I don't see how someone could start a movie 25 minutes late. The best part is, after it happened, this guy was laughing about it like it was no big deal. I just wanted to slap some sense into him.

Oh, guess what happened to this guy? He got promoted to booth manager! Go figure!

Hey, Brad, you were talking about one of the local head booth guys. I think these two guys might be related.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-24-2006 01:03 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must we DO this? ......oh well:

Guy #1 hears that talcum powder will keep tape from sticking so, during a "guest appearance" at a theatre with AW-2 platter he dumps about 1.5 lb of talcum powder on top of the film pack on feed out platter. Other than dirt he gets by for 2-3 reels, when the center feed arm stops moving due to talcum build up. It took 2 operator and me 3 hours to untangle the mess and resplice. Remember each splice, the film and the hands had to be cleaned before tapa would stick. (This guy had 12 years experience, but not with platters)

Guy #2 had 2 machine auutomation, but did not trust the cues. He "cued early" and also ran down late. 15-20 feet of film "missed" at changeover. Marx Bros. movie had punch line at end...entirely missed. Also 15 year man.

Louis

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2006 01:04 PM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
25 mins late, wow thats late!

The old cinema i used to work at was kind of ok but thier timetables was done wrong, 30 mins before the films sposed to be on the other showing before thats still on, so we was kind pushed by time at some times,

Also when the film james bond die another day was on the boss gave everyone a few glasses of wine and a free bottle of wine to all the staff including the projectionists while they was on duty.

The cinema was 6 screens number 1 being the biggest 3 on the upstairs which required you to run around alot to each projection room and 3 on the downstairs where they are in the same room, There are always 2 staff on in the booths one doing upstairs and one doing downstairs, Onetime one of the projectionists was late and i had to start all 6 screens and do most of the lens changes to put them into scope, Which at the end of it i was very tired. And not to mention screen 1 projector breaking down and carrying the film down to screen 4.

I miss working in the cinema world and i hope this interview ive got coming up will give me a chance to get back into this kind of work.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-24-2006 02:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a guy STAPLE a film to fix a break once. (not in my theatre, and he's out of the business since 1977, so don't worry)

Had a trainee accidentally turn on our old slide projector with a "COMING SOON" slide in it, during a love scene (accident...he was learing to do changeovers and confused the slide-proj switch with the projector motor switch...the audience got a good laugh at least)

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2006 03:21 PM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow a staple ? [Eek!] Surly that could of some damage if it went through the projector?

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2006 04:56 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Staples?? Thats not new ... back in the 70s I ran a few spanish prints from Azteca Films, a stapled splice was GOOD! most of the time they were just lapped over on the reel or a hunk of masking tape was wrapped all the way around the film thus when it hit the old gate in my Sups it raised all kinds of hell! The staples would actually make it through the machine unless they were placed in the sprocket holes!! We never had time to inspect it was a grind 18 hr run mexican theatre!!

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2006 04:56 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago I worked at a venue and the Head Projectionist had some strange, but true ideas...

1# Ordered Metal Mirror Polish to clean a Glass Mirror for Xenon Lamphouse.

2# Ordered several Bottles of Blooping Ink to use on a 70mm DTS Print!??.

3# Instructed me to lace up a 70mm film through the 35mm Opitical Soundhead on a Cinemeccancia Victoria 8 to test it working - I had to ask him to show how it's done [Smile] .

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2006 05:33 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
I know of one guy who has a fool-proof system for removing scratches from prints. His solution? Simply cut out the scratched footage and throw it away! Voila, a scratch-free print.
That is kinda funny, I know a guy locally that takes a sharpie and colors in the scratches as the film is playing.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2006 09:51 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading about a projectionist's response to the destruction of hundreds of feet of film. "It wasn't my fault. I was nowhere near the projector at the time!"
And we wonder why we're going backwards to digital.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2006 11:11 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two guys were moving a print without clamps when the center ring gave out on them. Now they probably could have salvaged reels 4-6 rather easily since they were over a platter deck when this happened. Instead, they purposely dumped the whole film onto the floor not being quite sure what to do. It took them about 8 hours to correct their mistake.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: