Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Problems with cinemeccanica build up table

Author Topic: Problems with cinemeccanica build up table
Robert D. LaValley
Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2006 05:38 PM      Profile for Robert D. LaValley   Email Robert D. LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two cinemeccanica build up tables that the motors would work for about 10 mins at top speed and then just stop. They wouldn't blow the fuse. I have continuity across the motor and the voltage and current seems correct going to the motor. If anyone has any suggestions or and instruction booklets for

Cinemeccanica MUT 70/35 0008900

|  IP: Logged

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2006 06:41 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a Cinemecanica creepy crawly platter. When you first switch it to feed, it will creep. We leave the card cover permanently off and a small screwdriver close by so that we can instantly adjust the speed to still before lacing up. Otherwise, there will be too much film played out around the brain at show start. When the show starts, the platter will crawl, so we adjust the speed back up again. Adjustment each way is minimal – about 2mm. They then run without a hitch for the rest of the show. It seems to be temperature-sensitive and the projectionist is always there to check the start of every show. Before we replaced the brain with a new one that cost more than my first car we did have brain wraps but no more.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-13-2006 08:22 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am no expert in Cinemeccanica platters. Do you have an identical system with which you can swap parts one-at-a-time? Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-13-2006 09:48 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the platter uses a servopot in the payout like the orc design so I would suspect that the feed arm is not correctly placed on the shaft of the servo so that is just a guess

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2006 04:29 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From your question I'm assuming it's the make up table thats at fault NOT the platter motors.

Have you checked that the make up table motors are free turning when they stop working? Could be that the bearings are on their way out.... I've had this happen on a Christie make up table.

Take the bottom cover off of the table and run the motor until it stops, or slow's down.... then try turning it over by hand.

Hope this helps.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2006 09:54 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had a couple of occasions where the triac on the speed control board goes "iffy" . This has led to similar symptoms to the one you describe.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2006 11:14 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be used on US (110v) mains, it must have a step up transformer in it? 110-220v.

Get yourself a VOM, and measure the mains voltage at the input to the control PCB, don't be at all surprised if it's in the region of 260v, for some reason Cinemecannica fitted transformers with wildly innacurate outputs. Over here they are supposed to step down 240-220v, I've seen them stepping up anything up to 280v, and the card likes 220v, and not a volt more.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: