Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kinoton changeover shutters; how much heat can they take?

Author Topic: Kinoton changeover shutters; how much heat can they take?
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-12-2006 04:26 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've commented here before on the daft Kinoton auto lamp strike on motor start thing. I finally discovered yesterday how to strike the lamp without the motor running, the little toggle switch on the front of the columns that I'd been wondering about for the last three years. I had to open one of the machines last night, and while I had it open I traced the wires back to terminals 35 and 38, and from there they go to the lamphouse. Flicked the switch, and the lamp strikes, without the motor running. I've tried moving the switch in the past to see what it did, and it never did anything; I'd obviously never done it with the rectifier on.

Striking the lamp on the motor start isn't too bad at the start of the show; where it's a real problem is at a changeover, where you can clearly see a difference in both brightness and colour from the 'new' lamp.

Now there's just one problem; these lamphouse don't have manual dousers in them (don't suggest having them fitted, it's not my cinema). Given that we are a very small screen, running just a shade over 50 Amps, and that the changeover shutters are obviously designed to withstand the heat from much more powerful lamps for the normal eight seconds, it would seem that they should be ok with 50 Amps for sometwhat longer. On the last show yesterday I tried striking the lamp manually about twenty seconds before the motor cue. I examined the shutter after the show, and there was no sign of any overheating. Given the very low lamp current, how long would it be safe to expose the changeover shutters to this heat?

|  IP: Logged

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2006 04:55 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a few years since I last worked on Philips FP20 projectors with pulse light, carbon and xenon. I seem to remember that the safety shutter was very robust then, which would protect the changeover shutter anyway for at least a minute. Just my opinion, later designs may have changed of course.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: