Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Scratches

Author Topic: Film Scratches
Keith Benschoter
Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2006 06:31 PM      Profile for Keith Benschoter   Author's Homepage   Email Keith Benschoter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new here, so bear with me... I'm looking for some pictures of typical film scratches to use as training aids for my projectionists.
Can anyone help me???
[Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-10-2006 06:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Give your newbies a new trailer, ask them to run it a couple of times without your assistance. There's your training material! [Razz]

(I'll see if I can find anything.)

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2006 07:47 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Have you ever though about setting up on the site a booth training wiki? I know many people out there have, from one time or another, been looking for training materials. Something like that could be a good way for the community here to collaborate on materials that is easier to reference and are more structured for training purposes than the forums are. Just a thought..

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-10-2006 10:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually what I have wanted to do for some time is make a series of videos (free downloads via internet Quicktimes or the same content could be purchased on DVD for a couple of bucks), but I just don't have the spare time. I would also need someone like Joe who is very proliferent at Final Cut Pro to crank out the editing and assist with the shooting, and of course local.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2006 10:36 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith, just take them on a field trip to your local cinemark or AMC.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2006 12:12 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Think of the most common types of scratches and damage and then create that damage yourself.
Bring your pad rollers in too close on the lower feed sprocket, thread it against a roller bracket/skip a roller, loops the wrong size, takeup cluster set too low (aw3 only) on bottom platter or something like.
In the past I've taken two identical trailers, scratched the hell out of one and made slides out of the two to show the difference and talk about what to look for when checking theaters.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2006 12:33 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have trained many projectionists and passed on all of my faults, just like teaching your kids to drive. Actually, I had the good fortune to start in the business when good projectionists were thick on the ground and most of them had been put out of work. We could get an expert to work relief shifts. Jim Haron (retired) still does a maintenance shift for me once a week and operates occasionally; he has forgotten more than I will ever know. He helped in the Sydney Cinerama installation and worked at Supreme Sound. Jim and I made commercials together (video, 16 and 35) when I was in advertising. He got sick of training people before I did.
It did annoy me at one time that other cinemas stole our newly-trained projectionists because they had no one to train them. One of our people went to a theatre that had installed 70mm – they needed someone who could do changeovers.
These days we get it easy, with platters, automation, xenons, splicing tape and digital pre-show, but Lesson 1 to any newby is First do no harm.

Keith Benschoter
Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2006 11:31 AM      Profile for Keith Benschoter   Author's Homepage   Email Keith Benschoter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What we are trying to do is make a "common problems" handbook for all of our managers to have in their booths. (Kind of a quick reference) This way our repair technician might not have to waste a 200 mile trip, or we might not lose a show, when he might have been able to correct the problem over the phone.

We've put together numerous photos of equipment and labeled the basic parts. It's not just my equipment, it's our whole company. Which covers about every make and model known.
example: I have 2yr old milleniums with strong platters in my 7-plex, while my other 3 screen "bargain" theatre has 2 Century C's & a Simplex XL all with different platters.

I know this isn't the best solution, but we're just trying to do something to help our managers put on the best show possible.

Jacob A. Velleman
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2006 02:28 AM      Profile for Jacob A. Velleman   Email Jacob A. Velleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: